Cannon Lake (microarchitecture)
Cannon Lake (formerly Skymont) is Intel's codename for the 10-nanometer die shrink of the Kaby Lake microarchitecture. As a die shrink, Cannon Lake is a new process in Intel's "Process-Architecture-Optimization" execution plan as the next step in semiconductor fabrication. Cannon Lake CPUs are the first mainstream CPUs to include the AVX-512 instruction set.
|L1 cache||128KB (i3-8121U)|
|L2 cache||512KB (i3-8121U)|
|L3 cache||4MB (i3-8121U)|
|Created||May 2018 (availability)|
|Transistors||10 nm (Tri-Gate) transistors|
|Instructions||x86-64, Intel 64|
|Predecessor||Desktop: Coffee Lake (2nd optimization)|
Kaby Lake Refresh (2nd Optimization)
|Successor||Ice Lake (Architecture)|
Cannon Lake was initially expected to be released in 2016, but the release was pushed back to 2018. Intel demonstrated a laptop with an unknown Cannon Lake CPU at CES 2017 and announced that Cannon Lake based products will be available in 2018 at the earliest.
On April 26, 2018 in its report on first-quarter 2018 financial results Intel stated it was currently shipping low-volume 10 nm product and expects 10 nm volume production to shift to 2019. In July 2018, Intel announced that volume production of Cannon Lake would be delayed yet again, to late Q2 2019.
The first laptop featuring a Cannon Lake CPU, namely Intel Core i3-8121U, a dual core CPU with HyperThreading and Turbo Boost but without an integrated GPU, was released in May, 2018 in very limited quantities.
Architecture changes compared to Coffee LakeEdit
- AVX-512 instruction set extension
- Intel's first 10nm process technology
List of Cannon Lake CPUsEdit
|GPU||GPU clock rate||L3
|Core i3||8121U||2 (4)||2.2 GHz||3.2 GHz||N/A||4 MB||15 W||N/A||?|
- Kirsch, Nathan (2016-02-21). "Intel Cannonlake Added To LLVM's Clang – AVX-512". Legit Reviews. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- "Intel's Cannonlake 10nm Microarchitecture is Due For 2016 - Compatible On Union Bay With Union Point PCH". WCCFTech. 2014-06-06. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- "Intel Coffee Lake release date, news and features". Tech Radar. 2017-08-09.
- "Intel's Kaby Lake will sneak in before the 10nm process". Digital Trends. 25 Jan 2016. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "What's the Name of Intel's Third 10-Nanometer Chip?". The Motley Fool. 25 Jan 2016. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "Intel confirms tick-tock-shattering Kaby Lake processor as Moore's Law falters". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "Here's How Intel Is Finally Getting Back on Track With Moore's Law". Fortune. Retrieved 2017-02-10.
- "Intel Kicks Off CES 2017 with VR, Automated Driving, 5G News and Experiences | Intel Newsroom". Intel Newsroom. Retrieved 2017-02-10.
- Cutress, Ian. "Intel Mentions 10nm, Briefly". Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- "Intel Announces 10nm Cannon Lake Is Shipping". Tom's Hardware. 2018-01-09. Retrieved 2018-01-10.
- AnandTech (2018-01-09), Intel at CES 2018: 10nm [@8:35], retrieved 2018-01-10
- "Intel Reports First-Quarter 2018 Financial Results". www.intc.com. Retrieved 2018-04-28.
- Ell, Jordan Novet, Kellie (2018-07-26). "Intel falls on delay of future chip technology". CNBC. Retrieved 2018-07-29.
- "Cannon Lake stumbles into the market: The IdeaPad 330-15ICN is the first laptop with a 10-nm-CPU". Notebookcheck. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- "联想IdeaPad330 八代酷睿I3-8121U游戏性能独显笔记本电脑 超薄本轻薄本办公商务学生本 标配秒杀：4G内存 500G硬盘 2G独显 W10 银色 15.6英寸【图片 价格 品牌 报价】-京东". 2018-05-14. Archived from the original on 2018-05-14. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- "Intel rolls out NUC mini-PCs with 10nm 'Cannon Lake' CPUs and AMD Radeon graphics". PC World. Retrieved 2018-12-30.
- "Intel Core i3-8121U SoC - Benchmarks and Specs". Notebookcheck. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- Kampman, Jeff (15 May 2018). "Cannon Lake Core i3-8121U appears in Intel's ARK database". Tech Report. Retrieved 15 May 2018.