Candice Susan Swanepoel (//; Afrikaans: [svanɛˈpul]; born 20 October 1988) is a South African supermodel and philanthropist. She is known for her work with Victoria's Secret. In 2016, she was listed 8th on the Forbes top-earning models list.
Candice Swanepoel in 2010.
Candice Susan Swanepoel
20 October 1988 (age 30)
|Residence||Manhattan, New York City|
|Partner(s)||Hermann Nicoli (2005–present)|
|Height||1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)|
Candice Susan Swanepoel was born to Willem Swanepoel and Eileen Swanepoel (née Green) and raised in Mooi River, South Africa, in an Afrikaner family of Dutch descent. Her father is from Mutare, Zimbabwe, previously known as Umtali. Her mother is South African. She has one older brother named Stephen. While growing up Candice was a ballet dancer. Swanepoel attended boarding school at St. Anne's Diocesan College in the nearby town of Hilton. At age 15, she was spotted by a model scout in a Durban flea market.
Swanepoel has appeared in editorials in American, Italian, British, Spanish, German, Greek, Russian, Australian, Brazilian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Mexican Vogue; Brazilian, British, German and South African Elle; British, South African, Romanian, Mexican and Chinese GQ; American, Spanish, Czech, Argentine, Turkish and Korean Harper's Bazaar; V, Allure, W, and i-D.
Swanepoel has walked the runway for Fendi, Chanel, Tommy Hilfiger, Dolce and Gabbana, Michael Kors, Donna Karan, Giambattista Valli, Jason Wu, Prabal Gurung, Rag & Bone, Oscar de la Renta, Elie Saab, Diane von Fürstenberg, Sportmax, Betsey Johnson, Stella McCartney, Viktor and Rolf, Givenchy, Jean Paul Gaultier, Christian Dior, Blumarine, and Ralph Lauren.
She has appeared in advertising campaigns for Tom Ford, Oscar De La Renta, Givenchy, Miu Miu, Tommy Hilfiger, Rag & Bone, Ralph Lauren, Shiatzy Chen, Michael Kors, Blumarine, Versace, Prabal Gurung, Diesel, Guess?, Swarovski, Agua Bendita, Colcci, True Religion, Nike, Juicy Couture, as well as for Victoria's Secret since 2007. In addition to appearing in the lingerie brand's commercials, she was a featured model in the 2010 "SWIM" catalog, along with Lindsay Ellingson, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Behati Prinsloo, and Erin Heatherton.
In 2010, Swanepoel became a Victoria's Secret Angel. Swanepoel modeled for the Kardashians' 2010 swimwear line. On 12 August 2010, Swanepoel officially opened the first Victoria's Secret retail store in Canada, at West Edmonton Mall, Edmonton. In 2013, Swanepoel was named the cover model of the coveted Victoria's Secret Swim Catalogue. Swanepoel was chosen to wear the "Fantasy Bra" in the 2013 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. The 10 million dollar bra, named the "Royal Fantasy Bra", was created by Mouawad. The bra and its matching belt featured over 4,200 precious gems, including rubies, diamonds and yellow sapphires set in 18 carat gold with a 52-carat ruby at the center.
Swanepoel made her debut at No. 10 on Forbes' "The World's Top-Earning Models" list, with estimated earnings of $3 million between 2010 and 2011. She was ranked No. 9 in 2013 with estimated earnings of $3.3 million. In 2015, she was ranked No 8 with earnings of $5 million. In 2016, she was ranked No 8 with earnings of $7 million.
She is fluent in Afrikaans, English, and Portuguese, the last of which she learned from her longtime boyfriend, Hermann Nicoli, a Brazilian model. She has been dating him since they met in Paris when she was 17 and he was 23. In August 2015, the couple announced their engagement after 10 years of dating.
Swanepoel is actively involved in mothers2mothers, a charity devoted to achieving an "HIV-free generation" of children and mothers in Africa. Swanepoel has designed denims for it, and in May 2019, joined the charity as a Patron. .
- "Candice Swanepoel - Vogue.it".
- "Candice Swanepoel: About". IMG Models. Archived from the original on 9 December 2016. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "Candice Swanepoel". Fashion Model Directory. Archived from the original on 10 April 2013. Retrieved 3 July 2011.
- Wally, Maxine; Wally, Maxine (13 April 2019). "Candice Swanepoel Signs With Creative Artists Agency". WWD. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "Candice Swanepoel - Elite Barcelona".
- "Candice Swanepoel - Elite Copenhagen".
- "Candice Swanepoel - MODELWERK".
- "Candice Swanepoel - Munich Models".
- "Way Model Management". Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "Pronunciation: Candice Susan Swanepoel". Forvo. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- Vasilieva, Aneliya (28 May 2012). "Focus on Models: Candice Swanepoel". Fashion Style Magazine. Archived from the original on 24 September 2014. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- Robehmed, Natalie. "The World's Highest-Paid Models 2016 - pg.1". Forbes. Archived from the original on 12 September 2017.
- "Umtali Junior School Standley House · 1967". Archived from the original on 1 December 2017.
- Blasberg, Derek (18 December 2012). "A Candid Interview with the Impossibly Beautiful Candice". Mr. Blasberg. Archived from the original on 25 December 2012. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "Model Profile: Candice Swanepoel". New York. Archived from the original on 15 August 2013. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Mbuyazi, Nondumiso. "We found Candice, says agency". Archived from the original on 1 December 2017.
- Govender, Devi Sankaree (presenter); First Edit (producer) (29 May 2005). "Mooiriver magic". Carte Blanche. M-Net. Archived from the original on 13 December 2007. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "Go Behind the Scenes of the Victoria's Secret Swim Catalog!". ET Online. 5 January 2010. Archived from the original on 7 January 2010. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Mah, Bill (27 July 2010). "Cosmo Supermodel Coming for Victoria's Secret Kickoff". Edmonton Journal. Archived from the original on 29 July 2010.
- Apatoff, Alex (16 October 2013). "The Victoria's Secret Angel Wearing This Year's $10 Million Fantasy Bra Is ... (Drumroll)". People. StyleWatch (column). Archived from the original on 15 February 2015. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "Candice Swanepoel starts her own swimwear brand". Telva (in Spanish).[permanent dead link]
- "Candice Swanepoel launches her own swimwear brand". Harper's Bazaar (in Spanish).
- "Candice Swanepoel—South African Angel". FHM. Archived from the original on 19 February 2015. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "2014 HOT 100 List: #1Candice Swanepoel". Maxim. Archived from the original on 2 February 2015. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Blankfeld, Keren; Bertoni, Steven (5 May 2011). "The World's Top-Earning Models". Forbes. Archived from the original on 9 May 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "'Pretendo Morar no Brasil', Conta a Angel Candice Swanepoel. Confira!" ['I Want to Live in Brazil', Says the Angel Candice Swanepoel. Confira!]. 180graus (in Portuguese). 29 January 2011. Archived from the original on 5 April 2012. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "GQ Girl: Candice Swanepoel". GQ South Africa. May 2010. Archived from the original on 13 July 2011. Retrieved 2 February 2015. (Full article Archived 3 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine, pp. cover, 8, 66–72.)
- Bacardi, Francesca (15 August 2015). "Candice Swanepoel Is Engaged! Model Set to Marry Longtime Boyfriend Hermann Nicoli". E!. Archived from the original on 14 August 2015. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- Shenton, Zoe (8 October 2016). "Candice Swanepoel Welcomes Baby Boy with Fiancé Hermann Nicoli and Name Him Anacã". Daily Mirror. Archived from the original on 8 October 2016. Retrieved 8 October 2016.[failed verification]
- Candice Swanepoel [angelcandices] (8 October 2016). "Life is sweet. 👶🏼Anacan (Anacã) 5th-October -2016". Instagram. Archived from the original on 9 October 2016. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Nasce segundo filho de Candice Swanepoel". Vogue (in Portuguese). 19 June 2018. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- "Candice Swanepoel sobre relacionamento EUA-Brasil: "Estou tentando morar mais aqui"". Vogue (in Portuguese). 19 June 2018. Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- Meadows, Holly (30 January 2015). "Candice Swanepoel Designs Denims for SA Charity". Elle South Africa. Archived from the original on 25 November 2015. Retrieved 26 October 2015.