Canadian Centennial Medal
The Canadian Centennial Medal (French: Médaille du centenaire du Canada) is a commemorative medal struck by the Royal Canadian Mint in 1967 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation and was awarded to Canadians who were recommended by governments and professional, educational and cultural associations, as well as military and protective services, veterans' groups, sports associations, and philanthropic and charitable bodies, for having provided valuable service to Canada. Some 29,500 medals were issued after its inauguration on 1 July 1967, of which 8,500 went to personnel in the Canadian Forces.
|Canadian Centennial Medal|
Canadian Centennial Medal
|Awarded by the|
monarch of Canada
|Status||No longer awarded|
|Established||27 June 1966|
|First awarded||1 July 1967|
|Next (higher)||Sovereign's Medal for Volunteers|
|Next (lower)||Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal|
Ribbon of the Canadian Centennial Medal
The Canadian Centennial Medal was designed by Bruce W. Beatty and is in the form of a 36 millimetres (1.4 in) diameter silver disc with, on the obverse, the words CONFEDERATION CANADA CONFÉDÉRATION surrounding a maple leaf with the Royal Cypher of Queen Elizabeth II superimposed on it, symbolizing her role as fount of honour. The medal's reverse shows the Royal Arms of Canada above the dates 1867 • 1967. This medallion is worn at the left chest, suspended on a 31.8mm wide ribbon coloured white with vertical red stripes, the outermost two wider than the four arranged equally between, each of those representing 25 year intervals, thus totalling 100 years.
- McCreery, Christopher (2012). Commemorative medals of the Queen's reign in Canada, 1952-2012. Toronto: Dundurn Press. p. 128. ISBN 9781459707566.
- Office of the Governor General of Canada. "Order of Precedence". Queen's Printer for Canada. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- Veterans Affairs Canada. "Canada Remembers > Records & Collections > Canadian Orders, Medals and Decorations > Canadian Military Medals and Decorations > Commemorative Medals > Canadian Centennial Medal - 1967". Queen's Printer for Canada. Missing or empty
- Department of National Defence. "DH&R Home > Canadian Honours Chart > Canadian Centennial Medal". Queen's Printer for Canada. Archived from the original on 3 April 2010. Retrieved 31 October 2009.
- Department of National Defence. "DH&R Home > Canadian Honours Chart > Sacrifice Medal (SM)". Queen's Printer for Canada. Archived from the original on 14 November 2009. Retrieved 2 September 2009.
- Blatherwick, Francis John (2003), Canadian Orders, Decorations and Medals, Unitrade Press, ISBN 978-0-919801-10-3
- McCreery, Christopher (2015), The Canadian Honours System 2nd Edition, Dundurn Press, ISBN 978-1-4597-2415-0
- McCreery, Christopher (2012), Commemorative Medals of The Queen's Reign in Canada, Dundurn Press, ISBN 978-1-4597-0756-6
|This article related to orders, decorations, and medals is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|