Can We Talk
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
"Can We Talk" is a song recorded by American R&B singer Tevin Campbell and composed and produced by Babyface. It was the first single to be released from his double platinum second release I'm Ready. The song hit top ten on the pop charts peaking at number nine on the Billboard Hot 100 and spent a total of three weeks at number one on the US R&B chart. It sold 500,000 copies and earned a gold certification from the Recording Industry Association of America. The song was also Nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rhythm & Blues Vocal Performance - Male. It was also nominated and later won the Soul Train Music Award for Best R&B/Soul Single - Male ("Can We Talk"). Cover versions of the hit song have been done by The Whispers, Sanchez, and Kirk Whalum (on his 2005 album Kirk Whalum Performs the Babyface Songbook). The song was later covered by British boyband Code Red in 1996, for their debut album Scarlet and was released as the album's lead single becoming a modest hit and reaching #1 in Asia. The song has also been covered by a Japanese/Korean singer during June 2008. The song became the opening theme to the 2012 sitcom 1600 Penn. The song was sampled in hip hop duo Luniz's song "Playa Hata" from their debut album Operation Stackola. The song was sung by 19-year-old Victor Sulfa during the semi-finals on season 3 of New Zealand Idol as well as Nikko Smith during the Top 10 round on season 4 of American Idol. The song has been featured on at least two different compilation albums including Disc 14 of Classic Soul Ballads entitled "Tender Love" and Volume 6 of MTV's Party to Go compilation albums series entitled MTV Party to Go 6.
|"Can We Talk"|
|Single by Tevin Campbell|
|from the album I'm Ready|
|Released||September 30, 1993|
|Tevin Campbell singles chronology|
- Can We Talk
- Look What We'd Have (If You Were Mine)
US promo CD
- Can We Talk (Remix Radio Version) 3:53
- Can We Talk (Full Remix) 4:55
- Can We Talk (Let's Talkstramental Mix) 4:26
- Can We Talk (Backward Beats Mix) 4:21
- Can We Talk (Album Radio Edit) 4:21
- Can We Talk (Edit) 4:21
- Strawberry Letter (Club Mix) 6:28
- Strawberry Letter (LP Version) 4:07
- Strawberry Letter (QD III Mix With Rap) 4:12
Credits adapted from liner notes.
- Tevin Campbell : lead and background vocals
- Babyface : writer, composer, producer, all music and background vocals
- Daryl Simmons : writer, composer and producer
- Randy Walker : MIDI technician
- Jim Zumpano, Donnell Sullivan : recording engineers
- Rail Rogut, Steve Warner, Ulrich Wild : assistant engineers
- Dave Way : mixing engineer
- Ivy Skoff : production coordinator
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- www.billboard.com Chart History (website has changed layout, link needs updating)
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 99.
- "Best-Selling Records of 1993". Billboard. BPI Communications. 106 (3): 73. January 15, 1994. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved May 4, 2015.
- "American certifications – Campbell, Tevin – Can We Talk". Recording Industry Association of America.
- "Music Video". youtube.com. 2010-10-11. Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- "Music Video". Youtube.com. 2006-02-02. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- "JUNE - Can We Talk ( JUNE mix )". YouTube. 2009-04-04. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- Tevin Campbell - I'm Ready (CD liner notes) - Qwest/Warner Bros 9362-45388-2
- "Australian-charts.com – Tevin Campbell – Can We Talk". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Charts.nz – Tevin Campbell – Can We Talk". Top 40 Singles.
- "Tevin Campbell Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Tevin Campbell Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Tevin Campbell Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Tevin Campbell Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay)". Billboard.
- "Tevin Campbell Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1994". Archived from the original on 2009-03-01. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- Ryan, Gavin (2011). Australia’s Music Charts 1988–2010 (PDF ed.). Mt Martha, Victoria, Australia: Moonlight Publishing. p. 48.
- "American single certifications – Tevin Campbell – Can We Talk". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.