This article needs to be updated. The reason given is: Official website is dead as of 2017. Is it still doing business?.(July 2020)
Camp Mobile, founded in February 2013, is a mobile application development company based in Seoul, Korea. Ram Lee and Jongmahn Park are the co-CEOs. The company currently operates seven mobile services ranging from social network service to smartwatch application, including BAND, Moot, SNOW, Whoscall, WatchMaster, LINE Deco, and LINE Launcher.
|Industry||Internet and Mobile Application|
|Founded||Seoul, South Korea (March 1, 2013)|
|Ram Lee & Jongman Park (co-CEOs)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Camp Mobile Taiwan |
Camp Mobile Japan
Camp Mobile USA
Camp Mobile is a subsidiary of NAVER Corporation, Korea’s dominant search engine and portal. Camp Mobile has international branch offices in the U.S., Taiwan, and India.
In February, 2013, Camp Mobile has spun off from NAVER Corporation with the BAND application, a group social network service initially developed inside NAVER. The main purpose behind the spin off was for NAVER to create a separate, agile unit solely focused on creating mobile applications for the overseas market.
In March, 2013, Camp Mobile launched LINE Launcher, an Android launcher application. In December, 2013, Camp Mobile acquired a Taiwanese mobile startup Gogolook, the developer of mobile caller identification service Whoscall.
In November 2017, it was announced that Camp Mobile would be merged back into Naver Corporation in February 2018.
Camp Mobile’s mobile applications are as follows:
- BAND, launched in August, 2012, is a group communication service hugely popular in Korea with over 50 million global downloads (as of September, 2015).
- Moot, launched in December, 2017, is a community gaming platform that streamlines the Looking for Group process and allows users to browse gaming news, memes, guides, and more.
- SNOW is a camera app featuring filters and animated stickers with facial recognition capability. SNOW has been ranked number 1 in the camera category on the Appstore in Korea, Vietnam, and the Philippines. SNOW has been ranked on Top 10 list on the Japanese Appstore.
- Whoscall is a mobile spam filter and caller identification service which provides users with information on the caller based on a database populated via the user community's report system. The download number reached 30 million in September, 2015.
- WatchMaster is a watchface design platform for Android Wear. WatchMaster has been selected as Google Play's Featured app.
- LINE Deco is a phone decorating Android/iOS application offering design icons, wallpapers, and widgets. LINE Deco surpassed the 30 million download mark in October, 2015.
- LINE Launcher is an Android launcher app specialized in decorating the phone. The number of downloads reached 20 million in August, 2015.
- 채희선 (2017-11-27). "네이버 대표 모바일 자회사 사라진다…모회사와 합병". SBS NEWS (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "South Korean mobile app Band hits 50 million downloads". e27. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- trends, Boosik is a writer with Tech for Korea where he writes about interesting tech; technology, innovations His main interests lie in the intersection of; entrepreneurship; University, public policy Boosik is a currently a senior at Columbia. "Global Spam Blocking App 'Whoscall' Reaches 30 Million Downloads | Korean Startups News". Archived from the original on 2015-10-05. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "【LINE】Smartphone Customization App LINE DECO Tops 30 Million Downloads Globally | LINE Corporation | News". LINE Corporation. Retrieved 2016-02-02.