Camille Keaton (born July 20, 1947) is an American actress and model. She is best known for her role as Jennifer Hills in the controversial 1978 film I Spit on Your Grave. She began her career in Italy, making her film debut as Solange Beauregard in the giallo film What Have You Done to Solange? (1972), and starred in several other Italian horror films through the early 1970s. In 2015, Keaton reprised her role as Jennifer Hills for the film, I Spit on Your Grave: Deja Vu, which was released in 2019. Camille Keaton is the grand daughter of legendary silent-film comedian Buster Keaton.
Keaton, c. 1972
|Other names||Vickie Kehl, Vickie Lahl|
(m. 1979; div. 1982)
(m. 1993; died 2005)
|Awards||Medalla Sitges en Plata de Ley (1978)|
Keaton relocated to Italy in 1971, where she had signed with a talent agent, and appeared in several commercials. Her debut role was in 1972 playing the role of Solange, a missing woman, in Massimo Dallamano's movie of the giallo genre entitled What Have You Done to Solange? Though a small role, her delicate and fragile physique got immediate attention. Robert Marcucci says of her role as Solange, "She truly steals every scene she's in, simply drifting in and out of each of her scenes, her face and mannerisms mysterious and alluring." The same year, she appeared as the lead in the Italian horror film Tragic Ceremony (1972).
In November 1972, Keaton was a centerfold in the Italian men's entertainment magazine Playmen. In September 1974, she was on the cover of Playmen. Keaton returned to the United States in 1975, settling in New York City. She then appeared as Jennifer Hills, a rape victim who wreaks bloody vengeance on her attackers, in the controversial exploitation film I Spit On Your Grave (1978), directed by her then-husband, Meir Zarchi. For her performance, she won the Medalla Sitges en Plata de Ley (Sitges Sterling Silver Medal) Best Actress award at the 1978 Sitges - Catalan International Film Festival.
Her most recent films include Samuel Farmer's home-invasion thriller Cry for the Bad Man (2019), Terror in Woods Creek (2017), Blood River (2013), Plan 9 (2015), and writer/director Jake Zelch's reimagining of Keaton's infamous 1993 film Savage Vengeance (2020).
In 1979, Keaton married Israeli filmmaker Meir Zarchi, the director of I Spit on Your Grave; they divorced in 1982. She was married to film producer Sidney Luft from March 20, 1993 until his death on September 15, 2005.
|1972||What Have You Done to Solange?||Solange Beauregard|
|Decameron II||Alibech||Italian: Decameron No. 2 – Le altre novelle di Boccaccio|
|1973||Il gatto di Brooklyn aspirante detective II||Guendalina Bacherozza de Porcaris|
|Sex of the Witch||Ann||Italian: Il sesso della strega|
|1974||Madeleine, Study of a Nightmare||Madeleine||Italian: Madeleine, anatomia di un incubo|
|1978||I Spit on Your Grave||Jennifer Hills|
|1982||Raw Force||Girl in toilet|
|The Concrete Jungle||Rita Newman|
|1989||No Justice||Preacher's wife|
|Sella Turcica||Karmen Roback|
|2012||The Butterfly Room||Olga|
|The Lords of Salem||Doris Von Fux||Uncredited|
|2015||Cabaret Diabolique||Agent Marcia Wilson|
|2017||Death House||Kristi Boon|
|Terror in Woods Creek||Principal Beasley|
|2018||Me and Mrs. Jones||Mom|
|2019||Cry for the Bad Man||Marsha Kane|
|I Spit on Your Grave: Deja Vu||Jennifer Hills|
- Miska, Brad (September 21, 2017). "First Look at Official 'I Spit On Your Grave' Sequel, 'Deja Vu'!". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved September 23, 2017.
- Camille Keaton - Biography
- Gomarasca, Manlio (November 16, 2015). "Intervista a Camille Keaton". Nocturno (in Italian). Archived from the original on February 3, 2016. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- Keaton, Camille (July 20, 2016). "Thank you for sharing Osvaldo". Facebook. Archived from the original on October 14, 2017. Retrieved October 14, 2017.
- Keaton, Camille (2007). "Le avventure Europee di Camille: Camille's European Adventures" (DVD). Dark Sky Films. Video on YouTube.
- Klyza, John (July 18, 2009). "I Spit On Your Vengeance: The Donald Farmer Interview". Archived from the original on December 7, 2013.
- Koven 2006, p. 104.
- Jane, R. Ian (2002). Camille Keaton. What Have You Done to Solange? (DVD). Shriek Show.
- Marcucci, Robert (2002). In Search of Solange. What Have You Done to Solange? (DVD). Shriek Show.
- Curti 2017, p. 257.
- Curti 2017, p. 258.
- "I Spit On Your Grave". Photoplay. M.A.P. Ltd. 33 (2–12): xxvii. 1982 – via Google Books.
- Clover, Carol J. (2015) . Men, Women, and Chain Saws: Gender in the Modern Horror Film (Revised ed.). Princeton University Press. p. 114. ISBN 978-1-400-86611-3.
- Speed, F. Maurice. "1979–1980". Film Review: 128.
- Moore, Debi (November 21, 2011). "A Bit of Clarification Regarding Clint Howard's Role in The Lords of Salem". Dread Central. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- Bergan, Ronald (September 19, 2005). "Obituary: Sid Luft". The Guardian. UK. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- Ettinger, Art (2006). "What have they done to Camille Keaton?". Ultra Violent (8): 35–50.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Curti, Roberto (2017). Riccardo Freda: The Life and Works of a Born Filmmaker. McFarland. ISBN 978-1-476-66970-0.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Koven, Mikel J. (2006). La Dolce Morte: Vernacular Cinema and the Italian Giallo Film. Scarecrow Press. ISBN 978-0-810-85870-1.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)