In mid-2010 Hughes moved form the morning and noontime anchor position to a nighttime co-anchor slot.
Hughes came to Local 10 in late 2006 from KYW-TV, the CBS station in Philadelphia, where he had been since November 2003 and anchored the weekend newscasts and served as a weekday night side reporter, covering several national stories, including the Live 8 Concert and Amish schoolhouse shootings. Hughes previously worked in Atlanta (WGCL-TV from 1999 to October 2002, where he worked with Jane Robelot), Dallas (KXAS-TV, 1995–99), Lexington, Kentucky (WKYT-TV), and Evansville, Indiana (WTVW), as an anchor and reporter. At 19, Hughes began reporting for the local radio station KBIA in Columbia, Missouri, while still a student at the University of Missouri, where he received a degree in journalism. He is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity.
Hughes was born in Cleveland and also spent several years in East St. Louis, Illinois. In 2002, he was selected to run the relay leg of the Olympic torch as it passed through the streets of St. Louis, Missouri, headed for the winter games in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Hughes resides in Miramar, Florida, with his wife, sons and daughter.
- Calvin Hughes Biography, WPLG, Retrieved December 1, 2010
- (4 June 2010). Calvin Hughes joins Laurie Jennings at WPLG, The Miami Herald, Retrieved December 1, 2010
- (12 October 2006). CNN taking Lou Dobbs seven days, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Retrieved December 1, 2010 ("CBS3 weekend coanchor Calvin Hughes will join Miami's WPLG next month as a reporter and anchor. Hughes started at Channel 3 in November '03")
- (13 November 2003). Moving Up, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Retrieved December 1, 2010 ("Going from male anchorstar in Atlanta to general assignment reporter in Philadelphia is not a demotion says KYW newbie Calvin Hughes ... [worked with] Jane Robelot at Atlanta's WGCL from 1999 to October02 ")
- (23 December 2003). Former TV anchor now in Philadelphia, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Retrieved December 1, 2010
- (26 October 2000). Making Adjustments, Spartanburg Herald-Journal, Retrieved December 1, 2010
- (26 September 1995). Hughes leaving WKYT, Lexington Herald-Leader, Retrieved December 1, 2010 ("Calvin Hughes city hall reporter for WKYT-TV Channel 27 is making the leap to a station in Dallas the nation's eighth largest TV market")
- (29 July 1999). Jane Robelot, Calvin Hughes to Anchor Expanded News at WGNX-TV, CBS Atlanta, PR Newswire, Retrieved December 1, 2010