This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2019)
California Straight Ahead! is a 1937 American action film about truck drivers starring John Wayne and directed by Arthur Lubin for Universal Pictures. The action movie features a memorable cross-country race between a caravan of trucks and a special train.
|California Straight Ahead!|
|Directed by||Arthur Lubin|
|Written by||Herman Boxer|
|Produced by||Trem Carr|
|Edited by||Charles Craft|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
A trucker named Biff Smith (Wayne) wins a contest between his caravan of trucks and a special train, the two competing against each other in a race to see who can deliver a load of aviation parts to an ocean liner before a labor strike takes place.
- John Wayne as Biff Smith
- Louise Latimer as Mary Porter
- Robert McWade as "Corrigan"
- Theodore von Eltz as James Gifford
- Tully Marshall as "Harrison"
- Emerson Treacy as Charlie Porter
- Harry Allen as "Fish" McCorkle
- LeRoy Mason as "Padula"
- Grace Goodall as Mrs. Porter
- Olaf Hytten as "Huggins"
- Monte Vandergrift as "Clancy"
- Lorin Raker as a Secretary
The film was known as Short Haul. John Wayne was meant to have made a film Maid of Orleans or Adventure's End but that was delayed due to the maritime strike. Universal then put him in Short Haul which was to have begun filming in November 1936. However filming on that was delayed due to a teamsters strike. It was to have been shot in San Francisco but that city had labor troubles so the script was rewritten so it could be shot in Los Angeles. Filming eventually took place in January 1937.
The movie was the first in a series of films directed by Arthur Lubin starring John Wayne.
Lubin recalled, "We had six days to shoot. There was no time schedule, as there is today, where if you go late at night or start early in the morning, you have to pay more. In those days, you could shoot twenty-four hours a day."
The Los Angeles Times called it a "fair supporting feature".
- "California Straight Ahead". Monthly Film Bulletin. 4 (37). London. Jan 1, 1937. p. 78.
- DOUGLAS W. CHURCHILL (Nov 15, 1936). "VIEWING THE HOLLYWOOD RUSHES". New York Times. p. X5.
- "Miss Graves Breaks Betrothal; Will Bans Marriage as Minor". Chicago Daily Tribune. Nov 27, 1936. p. 17.
- "HELEN JEPSON SIGNS FOR SERIES OF FILMS AT GRAND NATIONAL". Los Angeles Times. Jan 8, 1937. p. 10.
- Vagg, Stephen (14 September 2019). "The Cinema of Arthur Lubin". Diabolique Magazine.
- Levy, Emanuel (June 12, 2006). "Adventure's End: John Wayne's Feature, Directed by Arthur Lubin". Emanuellevy.
- Schallert, Edwin (Apr 8, 1937). "Spectacular Musical Film Opens". Los Angeles Times. p. 14.
- California Straight Ahead! at IMDb
- California Straight Ahead at Letterbox DVD
- California Straight Ahead at BFI