California State Auditor
The California State Auditor's Office (CSA), formerly known as the Office of the Auditor General and later the Bureau of State Audits (BSA), is the supreme audit institution of the Government of California. It is headed by the State Auditor who is appointed by the Governor to a 4-year term from a list of 3 qualified individuals submitted by the Joint Legislative Audit Committee of the California State Legislature.
|Jurisdiction||Government of California|
|Headquarters||621 Capitol Mall, Sacramento, CA 95814|
California law requires the bureau to examine and report annually upon the financial statements prepared by the executive branch of the state; perform other related assignments, including performance audits, that are mandated by statute; administer the Reporting of Improper Governmental Activities Act; and conduct audits and investigations of public entities requested by the Joint Legislative Audit Committee to the extent that funding is available.
Although the bureau is located within the executive branch, state law grants the CSA independence from executive branch oversight. The bureau is overseen by the Little Hoover Commission, an independent state oversight agency.
- Chapter 12, Statutes of 1993, codified at Government Code § 8543, etc.
- "California State Auditor - Statutorial Establishment". www.bsa.ca.gov. Retrieved 2019-08-25.
- "Legislature OKs Revival of Auditor General's Office : Government: A 64-7 vote by the Assembly sends bill restoring watchdog agency to Wilson. Voters had refused to exempt the agency from spending limits". Los Angeles Times. 1993-05-04. Retrieved 2019-08-25.
- "Chapter 12, Statutes of 1993" (PDF). California State Assembly, Office of the Chief Clerk. 1993.
- "California State Auditor - 2020 Citizens Redistricting Commission Selection Process". auditor.ca.gov. Retrieved 2019-03-24.
- "California State Auditor - Statutorial Establishment". www.bsa.ca.gov. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
- "The Commission | Little Hoover Commission". lhc.ca.gov. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
- "Oversight of the California State Auditor | Little Hoover Commission". lhc.ca.gov. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
|This article about the politics of California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|