California's at-large congressional district
After statehood was achieved September 9, 1850 until 1865, California elected its representatives statewide at-large — two representatives from September 11, 1850 to 1861, and 3 representatives from 1861 to 1865.
List of representativesEdit
|Years||Seat A||Seat B||Seat C|
|Representative||Party||Electoral history||Representative||Party||Electoral history||Representative||Party||Electoral history|
|31||September 11, 1850 –
March 3, 1851
|George Wright||Independent||Elected in 1849.
|Edward Gilbert||Democratic||Elected in 1849.|
|32||March 4, 1851 –
March 3, 1853
Edward C. Marshall
|Democratic||Elected late in 1851.
|Joseph W. McCorkle||Democratic||Elected late in 1851.|
|33||March 3, 1853 –
March 3, 1855
|Milton Latham||Democratic||Retired.||James A. McDougall||Democratic||Lost re-election.|
|34||March 4, 1855 –
March 3, 1857
|James W. Denver||Democratic||Retired.||Philemon T. Herbert||Democratic||Retired after manslaughter acquittal|
|35||March 4, 1857 –
March 3, 1859
|Joseph C. McKibbin||Democratic||Lost re-election.||Charles L. Scott||Democratic||Re-elected in 1858.|
|36||March 4, 1859 –
March 3, 1861
|John C. Burch||Democratic||Retired.|
|37||March 4, 1861 –
June 3, 1862
|Timothy Phelps||Republican||Retired.||Aaron A. Sargent||Republican||Retired.||Vacant|
|June 3, 1862 –
March 3, 1863
|Frederick F. Low||Republican||Not permitted by the House to take his seat.|
Subsequently, qualified under special act of Congress.
|38||March 4, 1863 –
March 3, 1865
|Cornelius Cole||Republican||William Higby||Republican||Redistricted to 2nd district.||Thomas B. Shannon||Republican||Retired.|
|March 4, 1865 –
March 3, 1883
|Seat eliminated||Seat eliminated||Seat eliminated|
|48||March 4, 1883 –
March 3, 1885
|John R. Glascock||Democratic||Elected in 1882.
Lost re-election in the 3rd district
|Charles A. Sumner||Democratic||Elected in 1882.|
Lost re-election in the 2nd district.
In these elections, the top two vote-getters (three from 1861 to 1863) were elected to the House.
The election was held November 13, 1849.
|United States House of Representatives elections in California, 1849|
|Independent||George Washington Wright||5,451||22.0|
|Independent||Rodman M. Price||4,040||16.3|
|Independent||P. A. Morse||2,066||8.2|
|Independent||E. J. C. Kewen||1,826||7.3|
|Independent||William M. Shepard||1,773||7.2|
|Independent||William E. Shannon||1,327||5.4|
|Independent||Peter O. Halstead||1,271||2.4|
|Independent||L. W. Hastings||215||0.9|
|Independent||Pierson B. Reading||167||0.7|
|Independent||W. H. Russell||96||0.4|
|Independent||J. S. Thompson||72||0.3|
|Independent||Kimball H. Dimmick||48||0.2|
The 1851 election was held October 7, 1851.
|United States House of Representatives elections in California, 1851|
|Democratic||Edward C. Marshall||24,469||27.0|
|Whig||E. J. Kewen||21,460||23.7|
|Whig||B. J. Moore||20,224||22.4|
The election was held November 2, 1852.
|United States House of Representatives elections in California, 1852|
|Democratic||Milton S. Latham||39,881||26.9|
|Democratic||James A. McDougall||39,387||26.5|
|Whig||P. L. Edwards||34,933||23.5|
|Whig||G. B. Tingley||34,299||23.1|
The election was held September 6, 1854.
|United States House of Representatives elections in California, 1854|
|Democratic||James W. Denver||36,819||22.4|
|Democratic||Philemon T. Herbert||36,542||22.4|
|Whig||G. W. Bowie||34,741||21.1|
|Democratic||James A. McDougall (incumbent)||9,968||6.1|
|Democratic||Milton S. Latham (incumbent)||1,843||1.1|
The election was held November 4, 1856.
|United States House of Representatives elections in California, 1856|
|Democratic||Joseph C. McKibbin||50,895||23.5|
|Democratic||Charles L. Scott||50,813||23.5|
|Know Nothing||B. C. Whitman||36,078||16.7|
|Know Nothing||A. B. Dibble||35,325||16.3|
|Republican||L. P. Rankin||21,975||10.2|
|Republican||J. D. Turner||21,164||9.8|
The election was held September 7, 1859.
|United States House of Representatives elections in California,|
|Democratic||John C. Burch||57,665||28.4|
|Democratic||Charles L. Scott||56,998||28.1|
|Democratic||Joseph C. McKibbin (incumbent)||43,474||21.4|
|Republican||Edward D. Baker||41,438||20.4|
|Democratic||S. A. Booker||2,969||1.5|
|Republican||P. H. Sibley||301||0.1|
The election was held September 4, 1861.
|United States House of Representatives elections in California, 1861|
|Republican||Timothy Guy Phelps||51,651||21.8|
|Republican||W. L. Dudley||50,692||21.4|
|Democratic||Joseph C. McKibbin||35,401||15.0|
|Democratic||D. O. Shattuck||31,712||13.4|
|Democratic||H. P. Barbers||31,591||13.4|
|Republican||Frederick F. Low||39,059||45.6|
|Democratic||J. R. Gitchell||22,530||26.3|
The election was held September 2, 1863.
|United States House of Representatives elections in California, 1863|
|Republican||Thomas B. Shannon||64,914||23.0|
|Democratic||John B. Weller||43,567||15.5|
California elected two at-large representatives in addition to its four representatives in districts in 1882. For these results see United States House of Representatives elections in California, 1882.
- Political party strength in California
- Political party strength in U.S. states
- 33rd United States Congress
- 34th United States Congress
- 35th United States Congress
- 36th United States Congress
- 37th United States Congress
- 38th United States Congress
- United States House of Representatives elections, 1850
- United States House of Representatives elections, 1852
- United States House of Representatives elections, 1854
- United States House of Representatives elections, 1856
- United States House of Representatives elections, 1858
- United States House of Representatives elections, 1860
- United States House of Representatives elections, 1862
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1989). The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1982). The Historical Atlas of United States Congressional Districts. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–present
- California Elections Page 1849
- California Elections Page 1850
- California Elections Page 1852
- California Elections Page 1854
- California Elections Page 1856
- California Elections Page 1858
- California Elections Page 1861
- California Elections Page 1862
- Dubin, Michael J. (1998). United States Congressional elections, 1788-1997 : the official results of the elections of the 1st through 105th Congresses. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, 1998.