Cali Swag District
Cali Swag District was an American hip hop group from Inglewood, California, founded by former Death Row Records artist Big Wy and Dairold Potts. They are best known for their 2010 commercial debut single "Teach Me How to Dougie", which peaked at number 28 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and was certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
Cali Swag District
Cali Swag District performing in Anchorage, Alaska in October 2010
|Origin||Inglewood, California, US|
|Labels||Sphinx Music Entertainment, 319 Music Group, Capitol|
|Associated acts||Jermaine Dupri, YG|
2010-2011: The KickbackEdit
After originally signing with Capitol Records, Cali Swag District began to record their debut album, The Kickback. They released their debut single, "Teach Me How to Dougie", produced by Runway Star of The Makerz production team on April 13, 2010. It became a commercial success, peaking at twenty-eight on the US Billboard Hot 100, nine on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, and six on the US Rap Songs chart. The song's success led the "Dougie" to become one of the most popular dances of 2010. The song's follow-up, "Where You Are", was released on September 7, 2010. It samples Michael Jackson's 1972 hit, "I Wanna Be Where You Are". The song only managed to peak at forty-five on US R&B charts and twenty-two on US Rap charts. The group's third single, "Kickback", was released on January 18, 2011. The single peaked at ninety-one on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. Due to album pushbacks, much of The Kickback was re-worked, resulting in "Where You Are" being cut from it, making "Teach Me How to Dougie" and the title track its first two singles.
With the album delayed and the future of Capitol Records parent company, EMI, unclear, CSD requested to be released from their contract with Capitol. The group eventually signed with Sphinx Music Entertainment/319 Music Group and The Kickback was distributed by Sony/RED on July 12, 2011.
Montae Talbert, known in the group as "M-Bone", was shot on May 15, 2011. The 22-year-old rapper was the victim of a drive-by shooting in Inglewood. M-Bone was in his car after visiting a local liquor store when he was shot twice in the head. He was brought to a hospital where he was pronounced dead. Three days after M-Bone's death, Cali Swag District premiered the song, "How to Do That", in his honor. The song was included on their mixtape, Deeper Than the Dougie.
Cahron Childs, known in the group as "JayAre", died on June 6, 2014. According to a source, the rapper JayAre suffered from sickle cell anemia. He was admitted to the hospital after he had a seizure in his sleep. While in the hospital, JayAre fell into cardiac arrest and died at the age of 25.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|US R&B||US Rap|
- Deeper Than the Dougie (2011)
- Rns: D&G Lyfestyle Mixtape (2012)
- Fast Lyfe In Slow Motion (2012)
- The District (2014)
|Single||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|"Teach Me How to Dougie"||2010||28||9||6||The Kickback|
|"Where You Are"||—||45||22||Non-album single|
|"Burn Out (Drive Fast)"||—||97||—|
|"She Gettin It"
(featuring Tiffany Foxx and Problem)
|2013||—||—||—||We All We Got (shelved)|
|"The Way I Lean"||—||—||—|
- "Cali Swag District Bring the Party Back to Inglewood". theboombox.com. 2010-06-01.
- "Cali Swag District Artist Biography". MTV.
- "Runway Star for The Makerz", makerzmusic.com, Sept 7, 2013, accessed Sept 7, 2013.
- "New Music: Cali Swag District – 'Where You Are'". August 11, 2010. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- "Cali Swag District Overcomes Member's Death on Debut LP". Billboard magazine.
- "Cali Swag District's M-Bone Dead From Gunshot Wounds". HipHopDX. Archived from the original on 2012-09-04.
- "Cali Swag District Rapper M-Bone Killed In Drive-By Shooting". MTV.
- Dawson, Andrea. "Cali Swag District's M-Bone Killed in Drive-By Shooting". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved May 18, 2011.
- "Listen Now: Cali Swag District Salutes Slain Rapper M-Bone in Tribute "How to do that" in M-Bones Honor Single". eonline.com. 2010-05-26.
- "Cali Swag District Release M-Bone Tribute 'How To Do That'". MTV.com. 2010-05-23.
- "New Music: Cali Swag District – 'Burn Out (Drive Fast)'". Rap-Up. June 6, 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- "Cali Swag District Member JayAre Dead". MTV. 2016-06-07. Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- Maher, Cristin. "Cali Swag District Open Up About M-Bone's Tragic Death and 'Kickback' Album". PopCrush. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- "Gold & Platinum Searchable Database - June 25, 2014". RIAA. Retrieved 2014-06-26.