Calgary Alberta Temple
LDS Church president Thomas S. Monson announced the construction of the Calgary Alberta Temple on 4 October 2008, during the church's 178th Semiannual General Conference. The temple serves over 18,000 Latter-day Saints in Calgary and surrounding areas. The temple is located adjacent to the Royal Oak chapel in northwest Calgary.
|Calgary Alberta Temple|
Calgary Alberta Temple at night
|Dedicated||28 October 2012 by |
Thomas S. Monson
|Floor area||29,050 sq ft (2,699 m2)|
|Height||115 ft (35 m)|
|Preceded by||Brigham City Utah Temple|
|Followed by||Tegucigalpa Honduras Temple|
|Official website• News & images|
Coordinates: The Calgary Alberta Temple is the 140th temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) and the third built in Alberta. The first, previously known as the Alberta Temple, was built in Cardston in 1923. The Edmonton Alberta Temple opened in 1999.
The groundbreaking on May 15, 2010 was presided over by Donald L. Hallstrom, with other general and area leaders of the church in attendance, including William R. Walker and Richard K. Melchin. Once the building was completed, a public open house was held from September 29 to October 20, 2012, where over 100,000 people toured the temple. A cultural celebration was held October 27, 2012, and the temple was dedicated the following day, October 28, by Monson.
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of places of worship in Calgary
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Canada
- Mikita, Carole (October 4, 2008), LDS Church plans temples in Rome, 4 other locations, KSL-TV, retrieved 2012-10-26
- Hill, Greg (February 28, 2009), "Another temple for Alberta: Province's third, in Calgary, fills gap between Edmonton, Cardston", Church News, retrieved 2012-10-26
- "New Temple Site Locations Announced", Newsroom (Press release), LDS Church, October 7, 2008, retrieved 2012-10-26
- Myers, Sean (October 6, 2008), "Mormon temple slated for N.W.", Calgary Herald, p. B3. Reprint at Canada.com, retrieved 2008-10-08.
- Gerson, Jen (May 16, 2010), "Mormons break ground on long-awaited temple", Calgary Herald, p. A3. Reprint at Canada.com, retrieved 2012-10-30.
- Miller, Ian (May 22, 2010), "Temple in Calgary now under way", Church News, retrieved 2012-10-26
- Ferguson, Eva (September 27, 2012), "New Mormon temple in city's northwest unveiled to the public", Calgary Herald, retrieved 2012-10-26
- Swensen, Jason (September 28, 2012), "Calgary Alberta Temple: Enthusiasm for temple", Church News, retrieved 2012-10-26
- Nolais, Jeremy (October 23, 2012), "Calgary Mormon temple visited by more than 100K", Metro Calgary, retrieved 2012-10-26
- Avant, Gerry (Oct 27, 2012), "Calgary Alberta Temple: Youth present celebration on eve of dedication", Church News, retrieved 2012-10-30
- Avant, Gerry (October 28, 2012), "Calgary Alberta Temple: Dedication marks 140th operating temple for Church", Church News, retrieved 2012-10-30
- "Church President Dedicates 140th Temple", Newsroom (Press release), LDS Church, October 28, 2012, retrieved 2012-10-30
- "New temple president", Church News, March 2, 2017