Calder Valley (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Calder Valley in West Yorkshire
Location of West Yorkshire within England
|Population||102,961 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||76,041 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Hebden Bridge, Sowerby Bridge, Todmorden, Mytholmroyd, Brighouse, Rishworth, Rastrick, Elland|
|Member of Parliament||Craig Whittaker (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
Brighouse and Spenborough
|European Parliament constituency||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Since the constituency's creation in 1983 it has comprised the Metropolitan Borough of Calderdale wards of Brighouse, Calder Valley, Elland, Greetland and Stainland, Hipperholme and Lightcliffe, Luddendenfoot, Rastrick, Ryburn, and Todmorden.
The constituency was created in 1983, primarily from the former seat of Sowerby as well as parts of Brighouse and Spenborough. Historically a bellwether seat between Labour and the Conservatives, at the 2010 general election the seat became the closest three-way marginal in the north of England, with less than 1,000 votes between the Labour candidate in second place and the Liberal Democrat candidate in third, although with a significant Conservative majority. The seat's three-way marginal status did not last; the Labour vote increased significantly in both 2015 and 2017 while the Liberal Democrat vote collapsed dramatically over the same period. Despite this the Conservatives retained the seat in both elections, in line with national trends, and as a result the seat has maintained its bellwether status.
Members of ParliamentEdit
|1983||Sir Donald Thompson||Conservative|
Elections in the 2010sEdit
|Liberal Democrats||Javed Bashir||2,884||5.0||+1.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Janet Battye||1,952||3.4||−1.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Alisdair McGregor||2,666||5.0||−20.2|
|Yorkshire First||Rod Sutcliffe||389||0.7||+0.7|
|World Peace Through Song||Joe Stead||165||0.3||+0.3|
|Liberal Democrats||Hilary Myers||13,037||25.2||+6.3|
|English Democrat||Paul Rogan||157||0.3||N/A|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||7.6|
Elections in the 2000sEdit
|Liberal Democrats||Liz Ingleton||9,027||18.9||+2.9|
|Liberal Democrats||Michael Taylor||7,596||16.0||+1.3|
|Legalise Cannabis||Philip Lockwood||672||1.4||N/A|
Elections in the 1990sEdit
|Liberal Democrats||Stephen Pearson||8,322||14.7||−1.4|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+9.5|
|Liberal Democrats||Stephen Pearson||9,842||16.1||−7.0|
Elections in the 1980sEdit
|Conservative win (new seat)|
- "Calder Valley: Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "'Calder Valley', June 1983 up to May 1997". ElectionWeb Project. Cognitive Computing Limited. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Calder Valley 1983-". Hansard 1803-2005. UK Parliament. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 1)
- "Calder Valley parliamentary constituency - Election 2017". BBC News. Retrieved 19 November 2019.
- "Calder Valley parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Calder Valley". BBC News. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 May 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "UK > England > Yorkshire & the Humber > Calder Valley". Election 2010. BBC News. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- nomis Constituency Profile for Calder Valley — presenting data from the ONS annual population survey and other official statistics.