Goeppertia makoyana (syn. Calathea makoyana), also known as peacock plant or cathedral windows, is a species of plant belonging to the genus Goeppertia in the family Marantaceae, native to Espírito Santo state of eastern Brazil. It has gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.
(É.Morren) Borchs. & S.Suárez
Goeppertia makoyana is an evergreen perennial, growing to 45 cm (18 in), with round, pale, glossy green leaves. The upper surfaces of the leaves are marked with dark green blotches along the veins, and the lower surfaces coloured deep purple, with leaf shafts that are very thin. When new leaves grow they are rolled up and display their pinkish-red undersides. Like others in the genus, it has a horizontal soil stem, rhizome, from which the plants grow up and the roots develop. It requires a minimum temperature of 16 °C (61 °F), and in temperate areas is often cultivated as a houseplant.
It grows in high humidity with temperature range between 22 and 24 °C (72 and 75 °F). As such, it is suitable for countries in Southeast Asia such as Singapore.
It should be provided with a coarse mulch of leaves, peat and sand, and soil that should be kept moist and misted throughout the summer months. Liquid fertiliser must be added every 15 days. It also needs shade or semi-shade as it cannot tolerate direct sunlight, since its leaves will become dulled and less vibrant. It must be watered with lukewarm water - preferably rainwater.
- Goeppertia roseopicta, a similar looking plant
- "Goeppertia makoyana (É.Morren) Borchs. & S.Suárez". Plants of the World Online. Board of Trustees of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Retrieved 8 May 2021.
- Morren, Charles Jacques Édouard. 1872. La Belgique Horticole 22: 321, Calathea makoyana
- "RHS Plant Selector - Goeppertia makoyana". Retrieved 11 July 2020.
- "AGM Plants - Ornamental" (PDF). Royal Horticultural Society. July 2017. p. 43. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- RHS A-Z encyclopedia of garden plants. United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. 2008. p. 1136. ISBN 978-1405332965.
- Philippe Faucon (2005). "Peacock Plant (Calathea makoyana)". Retrieved 2008-01-02.
- RHS AZ encyclopedia of garden plants . United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. 2008. p. 1136. ISBN 1405332964 .