Calvin C. Newport (born 1982) is an American non-fiction author and associate professor of computer science at Georgetown University.
Calvin C. Newport
June 23, 1982
|Education||Dartmouth College (A.B.)|
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.S., Ph.D.)
Background and educationEdit
Cal Newport was born June 23, 1982. He completed his undergraduate studies at Dartmouth College in 2004 and received a Ph.D. in computer science from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2009 under Nancy Lynch. He was a post-doctoral associate in the MIT computer science department from 2009-2011. His grandfather, John Newport, was a Baptist minister and theologian.
In 2011, Newport joined Georgetown University as an assistant professor of computer science, and was granted tenure in 2017. His work focuses on distributed algorithms in challenging networking scenarios, and incorporates the study of communications systems in nature. Newport is currently Provost's Distinguished Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science at Georgetown University and the author of eight books.
Newport started the Study Hacks blog in 2007 where he writes about "how to perform productive, valuable and meaningful work in an increasingly distracted digital age".
Newport coined the term "deep work," in his book Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World (2016) which refers to studying for focused chunks of time without distractions such as email and social media. He challenges the belief that participation in social media is important for career capital, suggesting instead that career capital is a function of creativity, impact and control, or autonomy.
- How to Win at College (2005)
- How to Become a Straight-A Student (2006)
- How to Be a High-School Superstar (2010)
- So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion In The Quest For Work You Love (2012)
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World (2016)
- Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World (2019)
- The Time-Block Planner (2020)
- A World Without Email (2021)
- "The Newport Foundation | Who Was John Newport?". Retrieved October 12, 2020.
- "Calvin Newport -- Georgetown University". people.cs.georgetown.edu.
- "The dual careers of Cal Newport | MIT EECS". www.eecs.mit.edu. Retrieved August 28, 2020.
- "Cal Newport - Author of Deep Work, Study Hacks Blog". www.calnewport.com. Retrieved March 12, 2021.
- "Study Hacks - Decoding Patterns of Success - Cal Newport". calnewport.com. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- Evans, Lisa (January 21, 2016). "Finding Your Focus Through 'Deep Work'". Entrepreneur. Retrieved May 19, 2021.
- Newport, Cal (November 19, 2016). "Quit Social Media. Your Career May Depend on It". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved May 19, 2021.
- Shin, Laura. "7 Steps To Developing Career Capital -- And Achieving Success". Forbes. Retrieved May 19, 2021.
- "Facebook Phreaks and the Fight to Reclaim Time and Attention - Study Hacks - Cal Newport". calnewport.com. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Newport, Cal. "E-mail Is Making Us Miserable". The New Yorker. Retrieved May 19, 2021.
- Newport, Cal (March 4, 2021). "Had it with email? Give personal office hours a try". Fast Company. Retrieved May 19, 2021.