Cal Football Club was an American soccer club based in Thousand Oaks, California. The club was founded in 2009 and competes in Simi Valley Adult Soccer League, a fifth-tier United States Adult Soccer Association affiliated league in Simi Valley, California. The 2012 USOC team was coached by former U.S. national team player and current Fox Soccer analyst, Eric Wynalda alongside his former co-host of Fox Football Fone-In, Nick Webster. Cal FC President and General Manager was Michael Friedman.
|Full name||Cal Football Club|
|Stadium||Simi Valley Soccer Field|
|Head Coach||Keith Costigan|
|League||Simi Valley Soccer League
USASA Region IV
The team received attention in the 2012 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, when the club upset USL Pro side Wilmington Hammerheads 4–0 and Major League Soccer side Portland Timbers 1–0 before losing to Seattle Sounders FC 5–0 in the fourth round of the tournament.
Cal FC became the second amateur team to beat an MLS club without needing penalty kicks, as well as the first from the USASA to do so (Dallas Roma F.C. had previously defeated Chivas USA in the 2006 tournament via penalty kicks)
- Players noted below have played professionally.
- @Cal_FC (9 April 2018). "Press Release Michael Friedman, @Cal_FC President Cal FC Announces Keith Costigan as Manager Keith comes to Cal FC with an impressive resume both on and off the field" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Cal FC upsets Timbers 1–0 in US Open Cup match". FoxSoccer.com. Associated Press. May 31, 2012. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Arnold, Geoffrey (May 30, 2012). "Amateur squad shocks Portland Timbers in U.S. Open Cup". OregonLive.com. The Oregonian. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Itel, Dan (May 30, 2012). "USOC RECAP: Timbers fall 1–0 to Cal FC in extra time". PortlandTimbers.com. Major League Soccer. Archived from the original on June 2, 2012. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Curley, Joe (May 30, 2012). "T.O.-based Cal F.C. upsets MLS' Timbers". VCStar.com. Ventura County Star. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- Evans, Simon (May 31, 2012). "Timber! Portland felled by amateurs in cup upset". Reuters. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- French, Scott (May 31, 2012). "OPEN CUP: Cal FC stuns Timbers". ESPN LA. Retrieved May 31, 2012.