The Cairns Post
The Cairns Post is a major News Corporation newspaper in Far North Queensland, Australia, that exclusively serves the Cairns area. It has daily coverage on local, state, national and world news, plus a wide range of sections and liftouts covering health, beauty, cars and lifestyle. The Cairns Post is published every weekday and a weekend edition which is called The Weekend Post which is published on Saturdays.
First office of The Cairns Post, 1886
|Format||Tabloid, Berliner (Weekend Post from 2017)|
|Founded||10 May 1883|
In March 2015, Jennifer Spilsbury was appointed editor, becoming the first female editor in the paper's 132-year history. She replaced editor Andy Van Smeerdijk.
A prior newspaper that was also called The Cairns Post was first published on 10 May 1883. It was founded by Frederick Thomas Wimble. It was published weekly until 1888 then bi-weekly until 1893.
- The Cairns Post, 5 July 1909
- "The Cairns Post". Cairns.com.au. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "2013 Newspaper of the Year Awards". The Newspaper Works. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Fairfax dominates PANPA Awards with The Age taking top title". mUmBRELLA publisher. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- The Cairns Post, Jennifer Spilsbury appointed first female editor of The Cairns Post in more than 130 years, April 2, 2015, http://www.cairnspost.com.au/jennifer-spilsbury-appointed-first-female-editor-of-the-cairns-post-in-more-than-130-years/story-fnjpusac-1227288359828
- McQueen, Humphrey. "Wimble, Frederick Thomas (1846–1936) – Biographical Entry". Australian Dictionary of Biography. Adbonline.anu.edu.au. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- "The Knob, A History of Yorkeys Knob" by Mary T Williams, published in October 1986
- Rod Kirkpatrick "The First Cairns Post" chs bulletins 282/283 June/July 1983
- "Newspaper and magazine titles". Trove. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- "Newspaper Digitisation Program". Trove. Retrieved 9 October 2014.
- "The Cairns Post". Trove. Retrieved 9 October 2014.