Cadwallader Blayney, 12th Baron Blayney
Cadwallader Davis Blayney, 12th Baron Blayney (19 December 1802 – 18 January 1874), styled The Honourable from birth until 1834, was an Irish nobleman and politician.
Blayney was commissioned into the Army as an ensign in the 4th Regiment of Foot on 7 June 1821. He exchanged into the Rifle Brigade as a second lieutenant on 5 July. He purchased a lieutenancy in the 89th Regiment of Foot on 27 January 1825. On 9 April 1825, he exchanged back into the Rifle Brigade, and then to the 7th Regiment of Foot on 9 November. He was promoted to captain in 1826 and went on half-pay. On 7 June 1827, he came off half-pay by exchanging into the 80th Regiment of Foot, and retired from the Army in 1830.
Blayney entered the British House of Commons in 1830 as Tory Member of Parliament (MP) for Monaghan and held the seat until he succeeded his father as baron in 1834. Seven years later, he was elected a representative peer and joined the House of Lords. He sold the family estate, Castleblayney, Ireland, to Henry Thomas Hope of Deepdene, Surrey in 1852. Blayney died in London without issue aged 71, at the St. James Hotel, Piccadilly, London, after living in the Carlton Club there. The title became extinct on his death.
He is buried in Kensal Green Cemetery north-west of the main chapel.
- Dod, Robert P. (1860). The Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage of Great Britain and Ireland. London: Whitaker and Co. p. 121.
- "No. 17718". The London Gazette. 23 June 1821. p. 1323.
- "No. 17724". The London Gazette. 14 July 1821. p. 1463.
- "No. 18107". The London Gazette. 12 February 1825. p. 243.
- "No. 18127". The London Gazette. 16 April 1825. p. 654.
- "No. 18195". The London Gazette. 19 November 1825. p. 2117.
- "No. 18373". The London Gazette. 26 June 1827. p. 1371.
- "No. 18689". The London Gazette. 11 June 1830.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Monaghan
With: Evelyn Shirley 1830–1831
Henry Westenra 1831–1832
Louis Perrin 1832–1834
|Peerage of Ireland|
| Baron Blayney
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom, for a constituency in Ireland between 1801 and 1922 is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Conservative Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom born in the 1800s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a baron or baroness in the Peerage of Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|