2018 United Nations Climate Change Conference(Redirected from COP24)
The 2018 United Nations Climate Change Conference is the 24th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change: COP24,  also known as the Katowice Climate Change Conference. It is being held between 2 and 14 December 2018 in Katowice, Poland. The conference aims to finalise the practical implementation of the 2015 Paris Agreement, part of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
|Date||2–14 December 2018|
|Also known as||COP24 (UNFCCC)|
CMP14 (Kyoto Protocol)
CMA3 (Paris Agreement)
|Participants||UNFCCC member countries|
|Previous event||2017 United Nations Climate Change Conference|
After the United States left the Paris Agreement, China has taken a leading role by hosting many of the preparatory meetings in the weeks beforehand. Just prior to the conference the World Meteorological Organization released a report stating that 2017 atmospheric carbon dioxide levels reached 405 parts per million (ppm), a level not seen in three to five million years.
Right now we are facing a man-made disaster of global scale, our greatest threat in thousands of years: climate change. If we don’t take action, the collapse of our civilisations and the extinction of much of the natural world is on the horizon.
What I hope we achieve at this conference is that we realise that we are facing an existential threat. This is the biggest crisis humanity has ever faced. First we have to realise this and then as fast as possible do something to stop the emissions and try to save what we can save.
The same day, the 14th Dalai Lama wrote to the participants of the conference: "Climate change is not a concern of just one or two nations. It is an issue that affects all humanity, and every living being on this earth. This beautiful place is our only home. We have to take serious action now to protect our environment and find constructive solutions to global warming."
- "COP24 KATOWICE UNITED NATIONS CLIMATE CHANGE CONFERENCE". Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- Leslie Hook (16 November 2018). "China emerges as powerbroker in global climate talks". Financial Times. Retrieved 27 November 2018.
- Matt McGrath (22 November 2018). "Climate change: Warming gas concentrations at new record high". BBC. Retrieved 2 July 2018.
- Carrington, Damian (3 December 2018). "David Attenborough: collapse of civilisation is on the horizon". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- Carrington, Damian (4 December 2018). "'Our leaders are like children', school strike founder tells climate summit". The Guardian. London, United Kingdom. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2018-12-04.
- Tenzin Dharpo, We need serious action now, Dalai Lama to participants of COP24 climate meet, Phayul.com, 4 December 2018