The COEX Aquarium in Gangnam district, Seoul, is one of South Korea's largest Aquariums with over 40,000 creatures from over 650 species on display. The COEX Aquarium features 90 exhibition tanks grouped in fourteen "discovery zones", including six themed areas. The aquarium is housed within the COEX mall, which is, itself, part of the larger COEX Convention & Exhibition Center. The aquarium opened in 2000.
|Location||Gangnam district, Seoul, South Korea|
The COEX Aquarium is arranged such that visitors follow a preset path through the aquarium, experiencing each of the themed areas in turn. Each exhibit features a dedicated aquarium tank where visitors can view species of fish indigenous to the theme location. In addition to fish, other local animals are included in the exhibit such as birds, otters, and appropriate vegetation is also included in each exhibit.
In the undersea tunnel exhibit, visitors walk in an acrylic tunnel through a tank containing 2000 tons of water. The tank includes sharks and sea turtles which swim around visitors in all directions.
In an introductory first gallery, six tanks are filled with fish which are changed each season. The aquarium also features exhibits detailing the local Korean river ecosystems. The COEX Aquarium also features several smaller exhibits, many with a focus on entertaining children. One such exhibit, titled "Wonderland", contains a collection of "eccentric fish tanks" including a shower cubicle, computer monitor, bath tub, and toilet bowl. Several exhibits specifically allow visitors to touch starfish and shellfish.
- 1. Check-In
- 2. Rainbow Lounge
- 3. Story of Korean Fish
- 4. Garden of Korea
- 5. Fish in Wonderland
- 6. Amazonia World
- 7. Marine Touch Lab
- 8. Mangrove and Beach
- 9. Living Reef Gallery
- 10. Ocean Kingdom
- 11. Marine Mammal Village
- 12. Deep Blue Square
- 13. Deep Blue Sea Tunnel
- 14. Garden of Jelly Fish
- 15. Penguin's Playground
- 16. The Gift Shop
- "Entertainment Complexes". Seoul Metropolitan Government. Archived from the original on 29 January 2015. Retrieved 1 December 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Official Site of Korea Tourism Org.: COEX Aquarium". Retrieved 1 December 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Coex - Introduction - About Coex Mall". Retrieved 1 December 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Seoul aquarium offers underwater experience". Retrieved 1 December 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)