Committee on Data for Science and Technology(Redirected from CODATA)
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Committee on Data for Science and Technology (CODATA) was established in 1966 as an interdisciplinary committee of the International Council for Science. It seeks to improve the compilation, critical evaluation, storage, and retrieval of data of importance to science and technology.
|International Council for Science (ICSU)|
|Website||CODATA Official website|
CODATA sponsors the CODATA international conference every two years.
Task Group on Fundamental ConstantsEdit
CODATA is best known for (and sometimes confused with) its Task Group on Fundamental Constants (TGFC). Established in 1969, its purpose is to periodically provide the international scientific and technological communities with an internationally accepted set of values of the fundamental physical constants and closely related conversion factors for use worldwide.
The first such CODATA set was published in 1973. Later versions are named based on the year of the data incorporated; the 1986 CODATA (published April 1987) used data up to 1 January 1986. All subsequent releases use data up to the end of the stated year, and are necessarily published a year or two later: 1998 (April 2000), 2002 (January 2005), 2006 (June 2008) and the sixth in 2010 (November 2012). The latest version is Version 7.0 called "2014 CODATA" published on 25 June 2015.
The CODATA recommended values of fundamental physical constants are published at the NIST Reference on Constants, Units, and Uncertainty.
Since 1998, the task group has produced a new version every four years, incorporating results published up to the end of the specified year.
In order to support the upcoming redefinition of the SI base units, expected to be adopted at the 26th General Conference on Weights and Measures in the fall of 2018, CODATA made a special release that was published in October 2017. It incorporates all data up to 1 July 2017,:4,67 and determines the final numerical values of h, e, k, and NA that will be used for the new SI definitions.
The next regular version, with a closing date of 31 December 2018, will be used to produce the new 2018 CODATA values that will be made available by the time the revised SI should come into force, on 20 May 2019. This is necessary because the redefinitions have a significant (mostly beneficial) effect on the uncertainties and correlation coefficients reported by CODATA.
- Boulton, Geoffrey (2015). "Message from President Geoffrey Boulton". Archived from the original on 2017-07-18. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- "CODATA Conferences". Archived from the original on 2017-07-17.
- Cohen, E. Richard; Taylor, Barry N. (1973). "The 1973 least-squares adjustment of the fundamental constants" (PDF). Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data. 2 (4): 663–734. Bibcode:1973JPCRD...2..663C. doi:10.1063/1.3253130.
- Cohen, E. Richard; Taylor, Barry N. (1987). "The 1986 CODATA recommended values of the fundamental physical constants". Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards. 92 (2): 1–13. doi: .
- Mohr, Peter J.; Taylor, Barry N. (1999). "CODATA recommended values of the fundamental physical constants: 1998" (PDF). Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data. 28 (6): 1713–1852. Bibcode:1999JPCRD..28.1713M. doi:10.1063/1.556049.
- Mohr, Peter J.; Taylor, Barry N. (2005). "CODATA recommended values of the fundamental physical constants: 2002" (PDF). Reviews of Modern Physics. 77 (1): 1–107. Bibcode:2005RvMP...77....1M. doi:10.1103/RevModPhys.77.1.
- Mohr, Peter J.; Taylor, Barry N.; Newell, David B. (2008). "CODATA recommended values of the fundamental physical constants: 2006" (PDF). Reviews of Modern Physics. 80 (2): 633–730. arXiv: . Bibcode:2008RvMP...80..633M. doi:10.1103/RevModPhys.80.633.
- Mohr, Peter J.; Taylor, Barry N.; Newell, David B. (2012). "CODATA recommended values of the fundamental physical constants: 2010". Reviews of Modern Physics. 84 (4): 1527–1605. arXiv: . Bibcode:2012RvMP...84.1527M. doi:10.1103/RevModPhys.84.1527.
- Mohr, Peter J.; Newell, David B.; Taylor, Barry N. (2015). "CODATA recommended values of the fundamental physical constants: 2014". Zenodo. arXiv: . doi: .
- Mohr, Peter J.; Newell, David B.; Taylor, Barry N. (July–September 2016). "CODATA recommended values of the fundamental physical constants: 2014". Reviews of Modern Physics. 88 (3): 035009. arXiv: . Bibcode:2016RvMP...88c5009M. doi:10.1103/RevModPhys.88.035009.
This is a truly major development, because these uncertainties are now sufficiently small that the adoption of the new SI by the 26th CGPM is expected.
- CODATA (2015). "CODATA Recommended Values of the Fundamental Physical Constants: 2014". NIST.
- Wood, Barry M. (3–4 November 2014). "Report on the Meeting of the CODATA Task Group on Fundamental Constants" (PDF). BIPM. p. 7.
[BIPM director Martin] Milton responded to a question about what would happen if ... the CIPM or the CGPM voted not to move forward with the redefinition of the SI. He responded that he felt that by that time the decision to move forward should be seen as a foregone conclusion.
- "Fundamental Physical Constants - CODATA". Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- Newell, David B.; Franco Cabiati; Joachim Fischer; Kenichi Fujii; Saveley G. Karshenboim; Helen S. Margolis; Estefania de Mirandes; Peter J. Mohr; Francois Nez; Krzysztof Pachucki; Terry J. Quinn; Barry N. Taylor; Meng Wang; Barry Wood; Zhonghua Zhang (2017-10-20). "The CODATA 2017 Values of h, e, k, and NA for the Revision of the SI". Metrologia. doi:10.1088/1681-7575/aa950a. Retrieved 2017-11-08.
- "Input data for the special CODATA-2017 adjustment". BIPM. 2017-07-01. Archived from the original on 2017-07-18. Retrieved 2017-07-18.
- "New Measurement Will Help Redefine International Unit of Mass". National Institute of Standards and Technology. 2017-06-30. Archived from the original on 2017-07-16. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- Cox, J. D.; Wagman, Donald D.; Medvedev, Vadim Andreevich (1989). CODATA Key values for thermodynamics. Hemisphere Publishing Corporation. ISBN 0-89116-758-7.
- International Bureau of Weights and Measures (2016-11-10), SI Brochure: The International System of Units (SI) (PDF) (Draft to be finalized in 2018) (Preliminary 9th ed.), archived (PDF) from the original on 2017-01-13
- International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) (2017-08-10). "Input data for the special CODATA-2017 adjustment". Metrologia (Updated ed.). Retrieved 2017-08-14.