CBI (film series)
The CBI film series consists of four Malayalam films directed by K. Madhu and written by S. N. Swami featuring Mammootty as Sethurama Iyer, a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) officer. The series started off in 1988 with Oru CBI Diary Kurippu. The character Sethurama Iyer is said to have been inspired by a police officer named Radhavinod Raju, who in 2009 was appointed as the first chief of India's National Investigation Agency.
|Original work||Oru CBI Diary Kurippu (1988)|
|Films and television|
The films depicts a team of three CBI officers led by Sethurama Iyer investigating into a murder case. All the films feature Mammootty as Sethurama Iyer. The other two members of the team vary in the series. All the four films so far released have Vikram, the character played by Jagathy Sreekumar as a CBI officer. But he is not part of the three-men team in the third film but appears in the film for a short length. Chacko played by Mukesh appears in the first film but is not part of the team. But Chacko becomes part of the team from the second film onwards. Harry played by Suresh Gopi is present in the first movie as part of the team, but later transferred to Madras in the second sequel.
|1988||Oru CBI Diarykkurippu|
|2004||Sethurama Iyer CBI|
The films of the franchise are:
- Oru CBI Diary Kurippu (Malayalam: ഒരു സി ബി ഐ ഡയറി കുറിപ്പ്, 1988), featuring Mammootty, Suresh Gopi and Jagathy Sreekumar as CBI officers. Mukesh plays the role of police constable Chacko, a relative of the murdered woman.
- Jagratha (Malayalam: ജാഗ്രത, 1989), featuring Mammootty, Mukesh and Jagathy Sreekumar as CBI officers.
- Sethurama Iyer CBI (Malayalam: സേതുരാമയ്യര് സി ബി ഐ, 2004), featuring Mammootty, Mukesh and Vineeth Kumar in the CBI team and Jagathy Sreekumar in a special appearance.
- Nerariyan CBI (Malayalam: നേരറിയാന് സി ബി ഐ, 2005), featuring Mammootty, Mukesh and Jagathy Sreekumar as CBI officers.
Characters that appear throughout the franchise:
- Sethurama Iyer played by Mammootty. The CBI team leader. DySP in the first and second films. Unspecified in the third and fourth films.
- SI Vikram played by Jagathy Sreekumar. Sub Inspector, deputed from the Trivandrum Income Tax Department to the CBI in the first film. Unspecified in others.
- Chacko played by Mukesh. Constable of the Local Police in the first film. Part of the CBI investigation team as an officer on deputation from Kerala police in the sequels.
- CI Harry, played by Suresh Gopi, part of the team in the first film, but said to be transferred in the second film to Madras.
Sethurama Iyer (Malayalam: സേതുരാമയ്യര്) is a fictional character and the protagonist of the CBI film series. The character was played by Mammootty in the first four films. He is an investigative officer of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). Iyer's popularity is attributed to the fact that he uses his brain rather than brawn to solve cases.
- Pillai, Sreedhar (22 July 2005). "`I want to play lead roles'". The Hindu. Retrieved 6 December 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "NIA chief inspired hit film 20 yrs ago". Hindustan Times. 18 January 2009. Retrieved 14 September 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "A crack investigative team". hindu. Retrieved 20 August 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Mammootty back again as Sethurama Iyer". CineQueen.com. Retrieved 6 December 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Black Investigators Malayalam Movie ( 2013 ) - MAMMOOTTY , MUKESH". 2filmfanscity. 22 April 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)