Burgundio of Pisa
Burgundio of Pisa, sometimes erroneously styled "Burgundius", was an Italian jurist of the 12th century. He was an ambassador for Pisa at Constantinople in 1136. He was a professor in Paris, and assisted at the Lateran Council in 1179, dying at a very advanced age in 1193.
He was a distinguished Greek scholar, and is believed on the authority of Odofredus to have translated into Latin, soon after the Pandects were brought to Bologna, the various Greek fragments which occur in them, with the exception of those in the 27th book, the translation of which has been attributed to Modestinus. The Latin translations ascribed to Burgundio were received at Bologna as an integral part of the text of the Pandects, and form part of that known as The Vulgate in distinction from the Florentine text.
In addition, he translated from Greek into Latin Exposition of the Orthodox Faith by John of Damascus; On human nature by Nemesius of Emesa; Galen's On complexions; Books 6-8 (on winemaking) of the Geoponica; and homilies on Matthew and John by John Chrysostom.
- One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Burgundio". Encyclopædia Britannica. 4 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 820.
- H. Fitting, "Bernardus Cremonensis und die lateinische Übersetzung des Griechischen in den Digesten" in Sitzungsberichte ... Berlin (1894) pp. 813-820.
- Μ. Morani, "ΙΙ manoscritto Chigiano di Nemesio" in Rendiconti dell'Istituto Lombardo vol. 105 (1871) pp. 621-635.
- R. J. Durling, Galenus latinus, vol. I: Burgundio of Pisa's Translation of Galen's ΠΕΡΙ ΚPACΕΩΝ "De complexionibus" Berlin; New York 1976.
- Francesco Buonamici, "Liber de vindemiis a Domino Burgundione Pisano de Graeco in Latinum fideliter translatus" in Annali delle Università Toscane vol. 28 (1908), memoria 3, pp. 1-29
- List of his translations in the Latin Vicipaedia
- P. Classen, Burgundio von Pisa. Heidelberg, 1974.
|This article about a translator from Italy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an Italian philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Italian lawyer, judge or jurist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|