Bulimba Reach flows from south (upstream) to north (downstream). The suburbs of Hawthorne and Bulimba are on its eastern bank. The suburbs of New Farm, Teneriffe and Newstead lie to the west. Breakfast Creek joins the Brisbane River from the north-east at the northern end of Bulimba Reach.
Former wharves in the Bulimba Reach include:
- Brisbane Stevedoring Company wharf (western bank)
- Dalgety's Wharf (western bank)
- Mercantile Wharf (western bank)
There are three ferry terminals on Bulimba Reach (from upstream to downstream):
- Hawthorne ferry wharf (eastern bank)
- Teneriffe ferry wharf (western bank)
- Bulimba ferry wharf (eastern bank)
There are many landmarks along the Bulimba Reach, including (from upstream to downstream):
- the heritage-listed Brisbane Powerhouse, New Farm (western bank)
- Lourdes Hill College, Hawthorne (eastern bank)
- the heritage-listed former CSR Refinery, New Farm (western bank)
- the heritage-listed house Amity, New Farm (western bank)
- the heritage-listed Australian Estates No. 2 Store, Teneriffe (western bank)
- the heritage-listed Hawthorne ferry wharf, Hawthorne (eastern bank)
- the heritage-listed former Mactaggarts Woolstore, Teneriffe (eastern bank)
- the heritage-listed Newstead Air Raid Shelter (western bank)
- the heritage-listed Bulimba ferry wharf (eastern bank)
- the heritage-listed Newstead House within Newstead Park (western bank)
Historically there were many wharves in the Teneriffe area and there remain a large number of associated warehouses on Macquarie Street which faced the river along the Bulimba Reach. However, urban renewal projects have replaced the wharves with residential apartments and those warehouses are now separated from the river. Similarly on the western bank, the heritage-listed Bulimba House once occupied all the land down to the riverfront at the Bulimba Reach, but subdivision of the estate over the years has resulted in Bulimba House no longer being a riverbank property.
- "Bulimba Reach (entry 4985)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- Universal Business Directories Pty. Ltd (1997), Brisbane 1997 : includes Gold Coast & Sunshine Coast (41st ed.), UBD, a Division of Universal Press Pty. Ltd, ISBN 978-0-7319-0886-8
- "RAILWAY EXTENSION". The Brisbane Courier. National Library of Australia. 23 July 1895. p. 6. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- Bartlett, George S; Bartlett, Aubrey George; Archive CD Books Australia (2009), Greater Brisbane area atlases and street directories : set of 4 1931-c1948, Archive CD Books Australia, ISBN 978-1-74222-332-2
- "CityCat timetable" (PDF). Transdev. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
- "Bulimba-Teneriffe cross river timetable" (PDF). Transdev. pp. 5–8. Retrieved 21 December 2018.
Media related to Bulimba Reach at Wikimedia Commons