Brownlow Cecil, 4th Marquess of Exeter
The Marquess of Exeter
|Vice-Chamberlain of the Household|
24 November 1891 – 11 August 1892
|Prime Minister||The Marquess of Salisbury|
|Preceded by||Viscount Lewisham|
|Succeeded by||Hon Charles Spencer|
|Born||20 December 1849|
|Died||9 April 1898(aged 48)|
Isabella Whichcote (m. 1875)
|Children||William Cecil, 5th Marquess of Exeter|
Exeter was the eldest son of William Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Exeter, and Lady Georgiana Sophia, daughter of Thomas Pakenham, 2nd Earl of Longford. Lord William Cecil and Lord John Joicey-Cecil were his younger brothers.
Exeter was elected to the House of Commons for Northamptonshire North in 1877, a seat he held until 1895, and served under his kinsman Lord Salisbury as Vice-Chamberlain of the Household from 1891 to 1892. In 1891 he was admitted to the Privy Council. He succeeded his father in the marquessate in 1895 and took his seat in the House of Lords.
Apart from his political career Lord Exeter was a Captain in the Grenadier Guards and Colonel in the 3rd and 4th Battalions of the Northamptonshire Regiment. He also served as a Deputy Lieutenant of Lincolnshire.
Lord Exeter married Isabella, daughter of Sir Thomas Whichcote, 7th Baronet, in 1875. He died in April 1898, aged only 48, and was succeeded in his titles by his son and only child, William. The Marchioness of Exeter died in July 1917.
- Lundy, Darryl. "p. 8203 § 82027 Brownlow Henry George Cecil, 4th Marquess of Exeter". The Peerage.[unreliable source]
- "leighrayment.com House of Commons: Northampton North to Nuneaton". Archived from the original on 7 April 2017. Retrieved 27 November 2009.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- "No. 26226". The London Gazette. 24 November 1891. p. 6230.
- "No. 26321". The London Gazette. 30 August 1892. p. 4958.
- "No. 26233". The London Gazette. 15 December 1891. p. 6911.
- Mosley, Charles, editor. Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes. Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003. Page 1364.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Marquess of Exeter
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
George Ward Hunt
| Member of Parliament for Northamptonshire North
With: Sackville Stopford-Sackville 1877–1880
Hon. Charles Spencer 1880–1885
(Representation reduced to one member 1885)
Edward Philip Monckton
| Vice-Chamberlain of the Household
Hon. Charles Spencer
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
William Alleyne Cecil
| Marquess of Exeter
William Thomas Brownlow Cecil