British rule in Ireland
British rule in Ireland began with the Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland in 1169. Most of Ireland seceded from Britain following the Anglo-Irish War and became a fully independent republic following the passage of the Republic of Ireland Act in 1949. Northern Ireland still remains part of the United Kingdom.
- Lordship of Ireland (1171–1542)
- Kingdom of Ireland (1542–1800)
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (1801–1922)
The same periods are also dealt with as:
- Stamp, Gavin (8 April 2014). "Britain and Ireland: A brief history". Retrieved 7 January 2020.
- "A republic in name but constitutional conundrums remain". The Irish Times. Retrieved 7 January 2020.
- Kenny, Kevin (2004). Ireland and the British Empire. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-925183-4.
|This Ireland-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|