A British national, or United Kingdom national, is any person that possesses a class of British nationality. This includes:
- British citizens
- British Overseas Territories citizens
- British Overseas citizens
- British subjects (as defined under the British Nationality Act 1981)
- British protected persons
- British Nationals (Overseas)
All British nationals, except for British protected persons, are Commonwealth citizens. For European Union purposes, only British citizens, British Overseas Territories citizens connected with Gibraltar, and British subjects with right of abode in the United Kingdom are considered European Union citizens. Additionally, while British citizens connected with the Channel Islands and Isle of Man are considered EU citizens, they are specifically excluded from enjoying freedom of movement in other EU countries.