British Rail Class 195
The Class 195 Civity is a class of diesel multiple unit which is currently being constructed for Arriva UK Trains subsidiary Northern by Spanish rolling stock manufacturer CAF. A total of 55 units are to be built, 25 two-car units and 30 three-car units.
|British Rail Class 195 Civity|
Artist's impression of the Class 195
|In service||From 2018|
|Built at||Irun, Spain|
Class 185 [nb 1]
|Number under construction||55 units to be built|
|Formation||25 x 2-car units
30 x 3-car units
|Fleet numbers||195001–195025 (195/0)
|Capacity||124 seats (195/0)
204 seats (195/1)
|Train length||48.05 m (157 ft 8 in) (195/0)
71.4 m (234 ft 3 in) (195/1)
|Maximum speed||160 km/h (100 mph)|
|Prime mover(s)||One per car, Rolls-Royce MTU 6H1800R85L|
|Power output||523 hp (390 kW) per engine|
|Multiple working||Within class|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) (Standard Gauge)|
Construction started in July 2017, and the Class 195 units will be phased into service between December 2018 and December 2019.
The announcement of the new trains was made by Arriva UK Trains when it was confirmed that it would become the next operator of the Northern franchise from 1 April 2016.
The bodyshells of the 195s will be constructed in Zaragoza and the wheelsets will be constructed in Beasain. Final assembly of the units will take place in Irun, with the first completed Class 195 scheduled for testing at Velim in March 2018. Construction started in July 2017.
In early 2016 it was confirmed that Spanish rolling stock manufacturer CAF would construct the new diesel-powered trains, planned to operate on some Northern Connect regional express services and allow for the replacement of Class 142 and Class 144 Pacer trains. The first set will arrive in the United Kingdom for testing in Spring 2018, with the new stock gradually phased into service between December 2018 and December 2019.
|Class||Operator||Number||Year Built||Cars||Unit nos.|
- Clinnick, Richard. "Northern unveils its first new CAF-built train". Rail Magazine. Rail Magazine. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Northern Connect - Northern".
- "Northern Franchise Agreement" (PDF). Gov.uk. Eversheds LLP. 2015. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- "140 MTU PowerPacks from Rolls-Royce for CAF regional trains in the North of England". MTU. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Long Term Passenger Rolling Stock Strategy for the Rail Industry, Fourth Edition, March 2016". Rail Delivery Group. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Intention to award Northern franchise to Arriva". Arriva Rail North. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- RAIL magazine issue 823
- "CAF begins production of new trains for Northern".
- "Arriva signs rolling stock contract for new Northern rail franchise". Arriva Rail North. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Open access operator Go-Op unveils plan to launch new West Country service" The Railway Magazine issue 1385 August 2016 page 9