Britain Stronger in Europe
Britain Stronger in Europe (formally The In Campaign Limited) was an advocacy group which campaigned in favour of the United Kingdom's continued membership of the European Union in the 2016 British referendum. It was launched at the Old Truman Brewery in London on 12 October 2015, and declared as the official "Remain" campaign for the referendum by the Electoral Commission on 13 April 2016.
Britain Stronger in Europe campaigners, London, June 2016.
|Formation||12 October 2015|
|Extinction||30 September 2016|
|Purpose||To continue British membership of the EU in the 2016 referendum|
|Stuart Rose (chairman)|
Will Straw (executive and campaign director)
Lucy Thomas (deputy director)
Craig Oliver (comms director, Downing Street)
In the 2016 United Kingdom European Union membership referendum, 51.9% voted in favour of leaving the EU, which meant that the Britain Stronger in Europe campaign was unsuccessful in achieving its main goal.
Following the referendum, many of the individuals involved such as Peter Mandelson and Roland Rudd would go on to form the Open Britain campaign group. On 6 September 2016 Britain Stronger in Europe officially changed its name on Companies House to Open Britain. On 15 April 2018, Open Britain launched the People's Vote, the campaign for a second EU Referendum.
The organisation's board comprises:
- Sir Danny Alexander
- Sir Brendan Barber
- Dame Janet Beer
- Baroness Brady
- Megan Dunn
- Damian Green
- Jenny Halpern
- Jude Kelly
- Caroline Lucas
- Lord Mandelson
- Trevor Phillips
- Richard Reed
- Sir Stuart Rose (chair)
- Roland Rudd
- June Sarpong
- Sir Peter Wall
Several groups campaigned for Britain to remain in the EU during the referendum. These include: the campaign group British Influence, the individual membership organisation the European Movement, as well as separate political parties who each had their own campaign (e.g. Labour In for Britain and Conservatives In), various special interest groups (e.g. Environmentalists for Europe), regional groups (e.g. Cambridge for Europe) and professional groups (e.g. Scientists for EU) and Brand EU.
- "EU referendum: Lord Rose says it is 'patriotic' to remain in the EU". BBC. 12 October 2015. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- Wright, Oliver (11 October 2015). "EU referendum: Britain will become a 'third-rate' power if it severs ties with Europe, warns Kenneth Clarke". The Independent. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- Noble, Josh (12 October 2015). "Britain Stronger in Europe: The key figures in pro-EU campaign". Financial Times. ISSN 0307-1766. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- "Lead EU referendum campaigns named". BBC News. 13 April 2016. Retrieved 14 April 2016.
- Slack, James (19 October 2016). "New bid to halt Brexit - by the same old faces: Mandelson, Straw's son and brother of Home Secretary who led pro-EU 'Stronger In' group are back - as 'Open Britain'". Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Straw, Will. "Special Resolution - Change of company name on 25 August 2016". Companies House. Companies House.
- "Brexit: 'People's Vote' campaign group launched". BBC. 15 April 2018.
- King, Esther (22 December 2015). "Britain Stronger in Europe: A grassroots army gets to work – POLITICO". Politico.eu. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Pro-EU Communities". Scientists for EU. Retrieved 14 March 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Britain Stronger in Europe.|
|This article about an organisation in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|