|Country||United Kingdom, Netherlands|
|General direction||north–south, west–south|
|From||Isle of Grain, Kent|
|Passes through||North Sea|
|Partners||National Grid plc (United Kingdom)|
|Manufacturer of conductor/cable||ABB|
|Cable layer||Global Marine Systems|
|Manufacturer of substations||Siemens|
|Installer of substations||BAM Nuttall|
|Type of current||HVDC|
|Total length||260 km (160 mi)|
|Power rating||1,000 MW|
|DC voltage||450 kV|
|No. of poles||2|
The project was announced in May 2007. The installation of the first section of cable link started on 11 September 2009, The entire 260 km (160 miles) cable was completed in October 2010. It began operation on 1 April 2011, and as of January 2012, electricity flow has mostly been from the Netherlands to the UK.
The 260 km (160-mile) long bi-pole 450 kV interconnector consists of two HVDC cables, which are bundled together. The capacity of the cable is 1,000 MW. The interconnector has two converter stations for connecting the link with the British and Dutch high-voltage electricity transmission systems. The cable was produced by ABB and laid by Global Marine Systems, while the BAM Nuttall/Siemens consortium was responsible for the construction and equipping of the converter stations. BritNed was completed on time and within the budget of €600 million.
The respective transmission system operators of the United Kingdom and the Netherlands - National Grid plc and TenneT; formed a joint venture to fund and operate the interconnection, independently from National Grid and TenneT's regulated businesses.
BritNed has suffered a number of outages due to undersea cable faults in 2020/21. The latest outage happened on 9 March 2021 and was scheduled to be restored on 8 May 2021.
|Grain Static Inverter Plant|
|Maasvlakte Static Inverter Plant|
- Fineren, Daniel (22 May 2007). "New cable to link UK and Dutch power grids". Reuters. Retrieved 26 September 2009.
- Hornby, Catherine (11 September 2009). "Dutch-UK marine power cable laying starts". Reuters. Retrieved 26 September 2009.
- "Global Marine Systems Completes Power Connection Between the Netherlands and the UK" (PDF) (Press release). Global Marine Systems. 27 October 2010. Retrieved 13 January 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Paulsson, Lars (24 February 2011). "Dutch, U.K. Regulators Approve BritNed Power Cable Trading". Bloomberg. Retrieved 11 March 2011.
- "BritNed cable electrically connects United Kingdom and the Netherlands" (Press release). TenneT. 1 April 2011. Archived from the original on 10 May 2016. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- Justin Wilkes et al. The European offshore wind industry key 2011 trends and statistics p22 European Wind Energy Association, January 2012. Accessed: 26 March 2012.
- "BritNed begins laying UK-Netherlands marine electricity cable". Power Engineering. PennWell Corporation. 16 September 2009. Retrieved 26 September 2009.
- "ABB awards submarine cable installation projects to Global Marine Systems". Power Engineering. PennWell Corporation. 13 May 2009. Retrieved 26 September 2009.
- "€600m electricity link between the Netherlands and UK". Power Engineering. PennWell Corporation. 23 May 2007. Retrieved 26 September 2009.