Bride Wars (2015 film)
Bride Wars (Chinese: 新娘大作战) is a 2015 Chinese romantic comedy film directed by Tony Chan. The film is a remake of 2009's Bride Wars that starred Kate Hudson and Anne Hathaway. It was released in China on August 20, 2015.
|Directed by||Tony Chan|
|Produced by||Kate Hudson |
|Box office||US$27.6 million|
A pair of brides-to-be put their friendship to the test when they battle it out for the perfect wedding scheduled on the same day.
- Ni Ni as Ma Li
- Angelababy as He Jing
- Zhu Yawen as Luo Dan
- Chen Xiao as Kevin
- He Jiong as Alexander
- Liu Jinshan as Ma Li's father
- Wang Yinan as Xiao Bai
- Xi Wang as Xiao Rou
- Huang Xiaoming as Groom in the opening (Cameo)
- Feng Shaofeng as Priest (Cameo)
- Jing Boran as TV Host (Cameo)
- Du Haitao as Leading workman (Cameo)
The film came in at number three in its opening weekend, earning USD$24,220,000 (RMB $154,496,958). In its second weekend the film dropped to number seven with $3.34 million. Its two-week total now stands at $27.6 million.
The film has been criticized for its rushed plot which gives no time for any emotional tension to build, leading to audiences being unable to empathize with any of the major emotional beats. Maggie Lee of Variety said that "a not-great Hollywood romantic comedy gets even worse in this atrocious Chinese remake." Elizabeth Kerr of The Hollywood Reporter called the film "a facile and uninspired remake of a facile and uninspired original."
- Kevin Ma (June 19, 2015). "Bona announces giant slate in Shanghai". Film Business Asia. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- "Movie "Bride Wars" premiered in Shanghai". Xinhua News Agency. 2015-08-19. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- "Fox International and Bona to Produce Chinese 'Bride Wars' Remake". Variety. 2014-06-21. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- "Romantic Comedy 'Bride Wars' to Hit Big Screens on August 20". China Radio International. 2015-08-11. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- 新娘大作战 (2014). movie.douban.com (in Chinese). douban.com. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- "The most disappointing films in the Chinese mainland in 2015". Global Times.
- Maggie Lee (August 24, 2015). "Film Review: 'Bride Wars'". variety.com. Retrieved October 10, 2015.
- Elizabeth Kerr (October 30, 2015). "'Bride Wars': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 2, 2015.