Brian Bates (psychologist)
Brian Bates (born 1944) is former Chairman of Psychology at the University of Sussex. He is currently a Senior Visiting Research Fellow there in the Sussex Institute and a Visiting Professor at the University of Brighton. He is best known as the author of best-selling books on the shamanic wisdom of Anglo-Saxon England, and for his award-winning course at Sussex on "Shamanic Consciousness". He is also an authority on the psychology of actors, teaching and directing for ten years at The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London.
- The Way of Wyrd: Tales of an Anglo-Saxon Sorcerer (London: Century, 1983, ISBN 978-0-7126-0277-8) a documentary novel about the spiritual wisdom of Anglo-Saxon England.
- The Wisdom of the Wyrd: Teachings for Today from Our Ancient Past (London: Rider & Co., 1996, ISBN 978-0-7126-7277-1)
- The Real Middle-Earth: Magic and Mystery in the Dark Ages (London: Sidgwick & Jackson Ltd, 2002, ISBN 978-0-283-07353-3)
- The Way of the Actor: A Path to Knowledge & Power (Random House, 1987, ISBN 978-0-87773-384-3)
- How to Manage Your Mother: 10 Steps to a Better Relationship (with Alyce Faye Eichelberger-Cleese) (Diane Publishing Co., 1999, ISBN 978-0-7567-8333-4)
- The Human Face (with John Cleese) (DK Publishing Inc., 2001, ISBN 978-0-7894-7836-8)
- 'Wyrd Druidry' in Druidry: Re-kindling the Sacred Fire (British Druid Order)