Brenda López de Arrarás
Brenda López de Arrarás is a Puerto Rican politician. She was a member of the Puerto Rico Chamber of Representatives from 2009 until 2021, and is affiliated to the Popular Democratic Party (PPD) and served as the party's Vice President. She was the first woman, who reached that position, unanimously elected.
Brenda López de Arrarás
|Chair of the Puerto Rico Popular Democratic Party|
October 15, 2018 – December 2, 2018
|Preceded by||Héctor Ferrer|
|Succeeded by||Aníbal José Torres|
|Member of the Puerto Rico House of Representatives|
from the at-large district
January 2, 2009 – January 2, 2021
Brenda López González
April 25, 1971
Arecibo, Puerto Rico
|Political party||Popular Democratic|
|Education||University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras (BA)|
Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico, Ponce (JD)
Early years and studiesEdit
Brenda López was born on April 25, 1971 in Arecibo, but was raised in Utuado. Her father was a former member of the Puerto Rico House of Representatives for District 22. She completed her elementary and high school studies in Utuado. López then completed a Bachelor's degree in Political Science from the University of Puerto Rico at Río Piedras graduating in 1993. After completing her Bachelor's degree school, López de Arrarás entered the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Ponce and reached Juris Doctor degree in 1996.
In 2007, López decided to run for office as a Representative. At the PPD primaries next year, she was the third candidate with most votes for Representative At-large. She was then elected at the 2008 general elections. She served as the party's Ranking Minority member in the Commissions of Education, Community Organizations, Agriculture, and others.
López was re-elected to a second term on the 2012 General Elections and a third term in the 2016 General Election. She served as the Chairwoman of the Commissions on Women Issues & Equality and Education, Arts & Culture from 2013 to 2016.
- Marrero, Juan (2020-11-04). "Legisladora trumpista de Carolina queda fuera del Senado". Metro (in Spanish). Retrieved 2021-01-05.
- Primarias 2008: Representantes por Acumulación Archived 2012-05-03 at the Wayback Machine on CEEPUR
- Elecciones Generales 2008 Archived November 20, 2011, at the Wayback Machine on CEEPUR
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-01-12. Retrieved 2012-01-02.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Víctima del crimen representante Brenda López de Arrarás on El Nuevo Día; Colón, Javier (January 21, 2011)
- María Celeste Arrarás su madrastra es menor que ella on Primera Hora; Berríos, Luis Ernesto (December 4, 2008)
- Brenda López de Arrarás on CamaraDeRepresentantes.org
|Party political offices|
| Chair of the Puerto Rico Popular Democratic Party
Aníbal José Torres