Brazil national cricket team
The Brazil national cricket team represents the country of Brazil in international cricket. The team is organised by the Brazilian Cricket Association (Cricket Brasil), which became an affiliate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 2002 and an associate member in 2017. However, the national side has a history dating back much longer, with its first recorded international match coming against Argentina in 1888. Regular international competition commenced in the 1920s, and resumed in the 1950s after a gap during World War II. Almost all of Brazil's matches have come against other South American sides, although in recent years the team has participated in several ICC Americas tournaments, which include sides from Central America and North America. At the South American Championships, which commenced in 1995, Brazil has played in all but one edition, with a best finish of second at the 1997 tournament.
|Association||Brazilian Cricket Association|
|International Cricket Council|
|ICC status||Associate member (2017)|
|First international|| Brazil v. Argentina |
|First T20I||v. Chile at El Cortijo Polo Club, Lima; 3 October 2019|
|Last T20I||v. Mexico at El Cortijo Polo Club, Lima; 5 October 2019|
|As of 5 October 2019|
In April 2018, the ICC decided to grant full Twenty20 International (T20I) status to all its members. Therefore, all Twenty20 matches played between Brazil and other ICC members after 1 January 2019 will be a full T20I.
Brazil became an ICC member in 2002. Its ICC tournament debut came in 2006, when Brazil took part in Division Three of the ICC Americas Championship in Suriname. Although Brazil lost all three opening games in that tournament, no doubt due to lack of international exposure, its cricket has developed since then.
Brazil won the 2009 ICC Americas Championship Division Three, winning all of its matches against Belize, Chile and Peru. This victory enabled Brazil to qualify for the 2010 ICC Americas Championship Division Two.
However, Brazil seemingly struggled at this higher level, thus after losing all of their four matches, were relegated to Division Three.
At the South American Championship, Brazil has participated in all but one edition since the tournament began in 1995, with its best finish being second at the 1997 event.
ICC Americas ChampionshipEdit
- 2000–04: did not participate
- 2006: Division Three fourth place
- 2008: Division Three fifth place
- 2009: Division Three won
- 2010: Division Two fifth place
South American ChampionshipEdit
- 1995: 4th place
- 1997: 2nd place
- 1999: group stage
- 2000: 3rd place
- 2002: 3rd place
- 2004: group stage
- 2007: 4th place
- 2009: 3rd place
- 2011: Did not participate
- 2013: 3rd place
- 2014: 3rd place
- 2015: 2nd place
- 2016: 4th place
- 2017: 3rd place
- 2018: 6th place
International Match Summary — BrazilLast updated 5 October 2019
|Twenty20 Internationals||4||1||3||0||0||3 October 2019|
- Highest team total: 96/5 (12.0 overs) v. Chile on 3 October 2019 at El Cortijo Polo Club, Lima.
- Highest individual score: 52, Muhammad Saleem v. Chile on 3 October 2019 at El Cortijo Polo Club, Lima.
- Best individual bowling figures: 3/15, Luis Rodrigues v. Argentina on 4 October 2019 at El Cortijo Polo Club, Lima.
Most T20I runs for Brazil
Most T20I wickets for Brazil
T20I record versus other nations
Records complete to T20I #916. Last updated 5 October 2019.
|Opponent||M||W||L||T||NR||First match||First win|
|vs Associate Members|
|Argentina||1||0||1||0||0||4 October 2019|
|Chile||1||1||0||0||0||3 October 2019||3 October 2019|
|Mexico||1||0||1||0||0||5 October 2019|
|Peru||1||0||1||0||0||3 October 2019|
- Rishad B - Captain
- Daniel Miziara
- Greigor Caisley
- Viki Chaudhry
- Rudy Hartmann
- Ian Webster
- Vincent Bastick
- Guilherme Lefévre
- Henrique Dolabella
- Sunny Randolph
- Alexandre Miziara
- Christopher Johnson
- "Ireland and Afghanistan ICC newest full members amid wide-ranging governance reform". International Cricket Council. 22 June 2017. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- "ICC Rankings". International Cricket Council.
- "T20I matches - Team records". ESPNcricinfo.
- "T20I matches - 2019 Team records". ESPNcricinfo.
- Argentina Archived 9 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine – International Cricket Council. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- Other matches played by Brazil – CricketArchive. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- South American Championships 1997/98 – CricketArchive. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "All T20 matches between ICC members to get international status". International Cricket Council. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- Country: Brazil – CricketArchive. Retrieved 4 September 2015.
- "Records / Brazil / Twenty20 Internationals / Result summary". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- "Records / Brazil / Twenty20 Internationals / Highest totals". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- "Records / Brazil / Twenty20 Internationals / High scores". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- "Records / Brazil / Twenty20 Internationals / Best bowling figures". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- "Records / Brazil / Twenty20 Internationals / Most runs". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 14 October 2019.
- "Records / Brazil / Twenty20 Internationals / Most wickets". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 14 October 2019.