Brandyn Thompson (born October 30, 1989) is a Canadian football cornerback for the Edmonton Eskimos of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the seventh round of the 2011 NFL Draft. He played college football at Boise State.
|No. 24 Edmonton Eskimos|
Thompson at Redskins 2012 training camp.
|Born:||October 30, 1989|
Elk Grove, California
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||188 lb (85 kg)|
|High school||Franklin (Elk Grove, California)|
|NFL draft||2011 / Round: 7 / Pick: 213|
|Drafted by||Washington Redskins|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
2011 NFL CombineEdit
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 9 in
|29 3⁄4 in
|4.53 s||1.57 s||2.56 s||4.12 s||6.66 s||33.5 in
|9 ft 6 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
Thompson was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the seventh round of the 2011 NFL Draft. Although he made the active 53-man roster at the start of the season, he was waived October 5, to make room for Phillip Buchanon after the latter's suspension ended. On October 6, 2011, Thompson was signed to the Redskins' practice squad. On November 5, 2011, Thompson was promoted back to the active roster after Buchanon was placed on injured reserve. He was waived again on November 8 and placed on the practice squad the next day. After the Redskins cut D.J. Johnson, Thompson was promoted back to active roster on November 30, 2011 to fill the roster spot. At the end of the 2011 NFL season, his rookie season, Thompson played a total of six games and recorded two tackles.
During the first OTA of the 2012 preseason, Thompson and Pierre Garçon accidentally collided into coach Mike Shanahan. Thompson was cut on August 31, 2012 for final cuts before the start of the 2012 season.
On April 23, 2014, Thompson signed a contract with the Ottawa Redblacks of the Canadian Football League. Thompson played two seasons with the Ottawa Redblacks, playing in 17 of the 18 regular season games both years. In his second year in the league Ottawa went all the way to the Grey Cup game where they were defeated by the Edmonton Eskimos. In his two years in Ottawa Thompson totaled 97 tackles, 7 interceptions and 1 forced fumble. Following the 2015 CFL season Thompson was not re-signed and became a free-agent on February 9, 2016.
Still a free-agent in mid-April Thompson was contemplating whether or not he had a future in professional football.
- NFL Combine Profile
- NFL Draft Scout
- "2011 NFL Draft Listing". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved 2019-02-26.
- Jones, Mike (October 4, 2011). "Thompson is waived to make room for Buchanon". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2011-10-04.
- Jones, Mike (November 5, 2011). "Redskins put Buchanon on injured reserve; Brandyn Thompson back on roster". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2011-11-05.
- Jones, Mike (November 8, 2011). "Redskins waive Brandyn Thompson, again". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- Jones, Mike (November 30, 2011). "Brandyn Thompson back on Redskins' roster". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2011-11-30.
- Corbett, Jim (May 21, 2012). "Redskins' Mike Shanahan knocked to turf in collision". USAToday.com. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- Jones, Mike (August 31, 2012). "Redskins' cutdown day begins". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2012-08-31.
- "2016 Free Agent Tracker". CFL.ca. Retrieved 2016-04-23.
- "Ex-RedBlacks DB Brandyn Thompson considers walking away from football". Ottawa Sun. Retrieved 2016-04-23.