Bradford Libraries is a public library service serving the City of Bradford Metropolitan district in West Yorkshire, England. There are 30 libraries including City Library in Bradford city centre. There is also a Local Studies and Archives Library in separate premises in the City Centre.
Bradford Central Library used to be in a multi-storey building opposite the Alhambra, just off the city centre. This building was found to be a fire risk in 2011 and additionally in 2013 was found to have asbestos inside its walls. A new city centre library was opened in December 2013 opposite City Hall and the local studies and reference library was moved into an annexe of the former library building to the south.
In early 2016, budget restraints at Bradford Council led to the announcements that only the main libraries in the city centre, Bingley, Eccleshill, Ilkley, Keighley, Manningham & Shipley would carry on to be staffed and fully funded by the council. The council appealed to the local community to help with manning the other threatened libraries.
List of librariesEdit
- Wilde, Claire (28 November 2015). "Hundreds of Bradford Council Staff transferred to city centre to boost regeneration". Telegraph and Argus. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Thomas, Rhys (6 December 2013). "City's library opens a new chapter". Telegraph and Argus. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Dewhirst, Ian (20 September 2013). "Carnegie Library Celebrated". Keighley News. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Meneaud, Marc (15 September 2009). "Developers hand over keys to first store in 5Rise, Bingley". Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Meneaud, Marc (2009). ""What I want is a commitment to Shipley Carnegie Library"".
- Wilde, Claire (19 June 2015). "Library to shut for eight months for major £640,000 refurbishment". Telegraph and Argus. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- Barnett, David (26 February 2016). "Bradford Council washes its hands of 14 libraries after devastating budget cuts". The Guardian. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Wilde, Claire (2 December 2015). "Libraries will close across Bradford unless volunteers step up to run them, councillor warns". Telegraph and Argus. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- "Council Services - Find your local library". Bradford Council. Bradford Council. Retrieved 24 October 2016.