Bracket (music group)
Bracket are a Nigerian afropop and R&B music duo composed of Obumneme Ali a.k.a. "Smash" and Nwachukwu Ozioko a.k.a. "Vast". Bracket started as a three-man music group before a member called Bistop dropped out. The duo are currently signed to Ape Planet and are best known for releasing hit singles like "Happy Day", "Yori-Yori" and "Ada Owerri" which received several positive reviews and airplay.
|Birth name||Nwachukwu Ozioko |
|Also known as||Vast & Smash|
Vast and Smash grew up in Nsukka, Enugu State, where they used to attend campus shows while growing up. Vast has a diploma and a degree in Mass Communication from the Institute of Management Technology, Enugu and the University of Nigeria respectively while Smash has a diploma in Social Works and a degree in Psychology after graduating from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
The history of how the group began has been mixed in several stories and allegations. Bistop, a former member of the group claims to be the pioneer of the group after meeting Vast in a barbing salon back in 1999. They performed and attended several shows under a name called "Furious BV". In a press release, he said he left the group as a result of a collaborative effort of a former associate producer together with Vast and Smash. He also went on to claim that Smash was not a member of the group until 2003 after he met Smash through a friend.
- Happy Day (2006)
- Least Expected (2009)
- Cupid Stories (2011)
- Alive (2015)
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Year||Award ceremony||Award description||Result|
|2012||The Headies||Artiste of the Year||Won|
|2013||2012 Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Best Indigenous Artist/Group||Nominated|
|2013||2012 Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Best Collaboration of the Year||Nominated|
- Babatunde Ologe (27 August 2010). "ASUU Strike Saved Us – Bracket". News Nigeria. Archived from the original on 20 April 2016. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Bracket: The Yori Yori duo". 9jaHob.com. 6 June 2009. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Mukosolu Nzom (3 November 2012). "Our pain, our gains, our story – Bracket". Vanguard. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Yori Yori Attracted Many Attentions – Bracket, Nigerian music Duo". GistMania. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "WE DIDN'T KNOW YORI YORI WOULD GET SO BIG – BRACKET". Nigeria Films. Archived from the original on 23 December 2015. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Jaguda (2 April 2010). "The Real Story Behind The Group Bracket". Jaguda.com. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Olumide Adesida (14 July 2015). "Bracket unveils art, track list for new album". The Net. Archived from the original on 2015-08-10. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Nigeria's fast rising duo Bracket to receive honorary award in the U.S". Nigeria Music Network. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Biodun Ogundairo (23 April 2012). "Wande Coal, Bracket, Darey Lead HHWA 2010 Nominations". The Net. Archived from the original on 2015-07-31. Retrieved 29 July 2015.