Location (in red) within Paris inner and outer suburbs
|Intercommunality||CA Cœur d'Essonne|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Bernard Decaux (PS)|
|14.56 km2 (5.62 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,800/km2 (4,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||41–97 m (135–318 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Origin of the city nameEdit
Britiniacum in 1146, Bretigniacum en 1548, Breteigny.
Origins of Brétigny starts at the Gaul Roman era. The etymology comes from the Latin « britiniacum » which means «property of the breton ». The name certifies that this territory was during that period dedicated to a Breton, coming from the Brittany island (the Great Britain of today), during the Brittany migration period (6th century). Brétigny belongs to the royal estate of the Merovingian kings (from the 5th century until the 8th century). During the commune creation, the city name was spelled without any accent. This accent was added in 1801 and the name of the river ("on Orge") was added in 1898.
Inhabitants of Brétigny-sur-Orge are known as Brétignolais.
Notable Brétignolais include:
- Cédric Collet, footballer, was born in Brétigny. He has played for the Guadeloupe national football team.
- Cédric Baseya, footballer, was born in Brétigny. He has played for Le Havre AC and some English clubs, but is now a free agent.
- Antoine-Gaspard Boucher d'Argis, (1708-1791), lawyer and encyclopedist, lived in Brétigny in the Castle of la Fontaine.
- Jean de Boishue (1943- ), politician. He was mayor of Brétigny.
- Patrice Évra, football player, played for CS Brétigny from 1993 to 1997.
- Jérémy Ménez, football player, played for CS Brétigny from 2000 to 2001.
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- > Par Frédéric Frangeul avec AFP <!. "Un train déraille à Brétigny-sur-Orge". Europe1.fr. Archived from the original on 2013-07-15. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "Deadly French train crash at Bretigny-sur-Orge". BBC News. BBC News. 2013-07-12. Retrieved 12 July 2013.