Bound for Glory (2016)
Bound for Glory (2016) was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA). It took place on October 2, 2016 at the Impact Zone in Orlando, Florida, the first time since the inaugural 2005 event to be held at the venue. It was the twelfth event in the Bound for Glory chronology, the second and last pay-per-view event of 2016 from TNA. It included the induction of Gail Kim into the TNA Hall of Fame, with Christy Hemme, Taryn Terrell and Awesome Kong returning to induct her. The event also featured the official TNA debut of Cody and Brandi Rhodes.
|Bound for Glory (2016)|
Promotional poster featuring various TNA wrestlers
|Promotion||Total Nonstop Action Wrestling|
|Date||October 2, 2016|
|Bound for Glory chronology|
Eight matches, one of which was a match taped for TNA Xplosion, took place at the event. In the main event, Lashley defeated Ethan Carter III to retain the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, and The Hardys (Broken Matt and Brother Nero) defeated Decay (Abyss and Crazzy Steve) in The Great War to become the TNA World Tag Team Champions.
|Other on-screen talent|
|Ring announcer||Jeremy Borash
Christy Hemme (Knockouts title match)
Bound for Glory featured professional wrestling matches involving different wrestlers from pre-existing scripted feuds and storylines. Wrestlers portrayed villains, heroes, or less distinguishable characters in the scripted events that built tension and culminate in a wrestling match or series of matches.
On July 8, 2016, TNA is announced that Impact Wrestling would begin airing at 8pm EST on Thursday nights on July 21, the night that would feature the start of the "Bound For Glory Playoff" to determine a new #1 contender to the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. In the first round, Broken Matt, Ethan Carter III, Drew Galloway and Mike Bennett advanced to the semifinals with victories over James Storm, Eli Drake, Bram and Jeff Hardy respectively. Second round action lead to Carter pinning Broken Matt Hardy, and Bennett pinning Galloway. In the final, Carter pinned Bennett to become the number one contender. On the August 4 episode of Impact Wrestling, James Storm defeated Eli Drake to win the TNA King of the Mountain Championship. Lashley would then come out and challenge Storm to a match for his King of the Mountain Championship, whilst putting his TNA World Heavyweight Championship and TNA X Division Championship on the line as well, which Lashley won.
|Ethan Carter III||Pin|
|Ethan Carter III||Pin|
|Ethan Carter III||Pin|
The title was introduced at the August 13, 2016 tapings of TNA's television program Impact Wrestling after TNA President Billy Corgan announced that the TNA King of the Mountain Championship would be deactivated and retired in favor for the new Impact Grand Championship. Corgan also announced an eight-man single elimination tournament that would feature new rules that would apply to the title. The new rules would be similar to how bouts were contested in professional wrestling in Europe in which each match will consist of three timed rounds, with a team of judges to award the win based on points, if there is no winner via pin or submission within the time limit. The final match was supposed to be scheduled to be at Bound for Glory to determine the inaugural champion, however, TNA Wrestling announced two days before the PPV that Drew Galloway had an undisclosed injury and will not be able to compete at Bound for Glory. Eddie Edwards was soon announced to be Aron Rex's new opponent for the Impact Grand Championship finals.
|Eddie Edwards †||15:00|
- † Edwards replaced Drew Galloway, who was injured before the finals.
On the September 1 episode of Impact Wrestling, Mike Bennett failed to win the TNA World Heavyweight Champion from Lashley in a no-disqualification match after Moose refused to help him. Afterwards, Bennett called Moose "a failed football player" before Moose attacked him, thus ending their partnership and turning face in the process.
Gauntlet entrances and eliminations
|2||Laurel Van Ness||5||Gail Kim||8:39|
|5||Marti Bell||3||Laurel Van Ness||4:19|
|7||Madison Rayne||1||Laurel Van Ness||1:23|
On September 22, TNA announced that the Bound for Gold concept will be making a return for this year's twelfth Bound for Glory event.
The status of the event was called into question in the days preceding it, with reports indicating that the promotion lacked the funds to go forward and was searching for a new buyer  After spending the week leading into the PPV negotiating with President Billy Corgan, as well as WWE, New York Post reported that an unidentified third party had given the company the funds needed to proceed with the event. It was later learned that the third party was Anthem Sports & Entertainment, which proceeded to purchase TNA.
|1P||Jade defeated Sienna||Singles match||06:54|
|2||DJZ (c) defeated Trevor Lee||Singles match for the TNA X Division Championship||11:12|
|3||Eli Drake won by last eliminating Tyrus||10-Man Bound for Gold Gauntlet match to determine the #1 contender for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship||15:19|
|4||Moose defeated Mike Bennett||Singles match||10:09|
|5||Aron Rex defeated Eddie Edwards||Singles match for the inaugural Impact Grand Championship||15:03|
|6||The Broken Hardys (Brother Nero and Broken Matt) (with Rebecca Hardy) defeated Decay (Abyss and Crazzy Steve) (c) (with Rosemary)||The Great War for the TNA World Tag Team Championship||22:28|
|7||Gail Kim defeated Maria (c) (with Allie)||Singles match for the TNA Knockouts Championship||05:19|
|8||Lashley (c) defeated Ethan Carter III||No Holds Barred match for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship||16:11|
Bound for Gold Gauntlet entrances and eliminationsEdit
|1||Jessie Godderz||8||Eli Drake||15:19|
|3||Braxton Sutter||1||Eli Drake||2:06|
|5||Robbie E||4||Baron Dax||6:10|
|6||Baron Dax||5||Jessie Godderz||4:25|
|8||Basile Baraka||3||Robbie E||1:18|
|10||Mahabali Shera||7||Eli Drake||1:01|
- Droste, Ryan (Jun 15, 2016). "Gail Kim Revealed As New TNA Hall Of Fame Inductee". whatculture.com. Retrieved August 9, 2016.
- "WATCH: Cody Rhodes appears on TNA TV for the first time". Wrestling News. September 22, 2016.
- "Anthem, Impact announce Global Wrestling Network launch". Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- Grabianowski, Ed. "How Pro Wrestling Works". HowStuffWorks, Inc. Discovery Communications. Archived from the original on 2013-11-18. Retrieved 2014-03-02.
- "Drew Galloway Unable To Compete on Sunday At Bound For Glory". impactwrestling.com. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- "Eddie Edwards Will Now Face Aron Rex In The Impact Grand Championship At Bound For Glory". impactwrestling.com. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Konuwa, Alfred. "TNA, Bound For Glory, Facing Possible Cancellation As WWE Seeks Ownership". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- "Billy Corgan acknowledges WWE is among potential TNA buyers". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- "TNA to go ahead with biggest show of the year as sale talks continue". New York Post. 2016-10-01. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- McMahon, Mike. "10/2 TNA Bound for Glory PPV: McMahon's ongoing coverage – EC3 vs. Lashley, Decay vs. Broken Matt Hardy & Nero". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved October 2, 2016.
- Thomas, Jeremy. "Xplosion Match Taped Before TNA Bound For Glory (SPOILER)". 411Manina.com. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- Moore, John (August 5, 2016). "8/4 Moore's TNA Impact Wrestling TV Review". ProWrestling.net. Retrieved August 5, 2016.