Its territory, which is part of Western Sahara claimed by both Morocco and the Polisario Front, has been de facto administered by Morocco since the mid-1970s.
The prefecture of Boujdour is located in the north of the region of Laâyoune-Sakia El Hamra. It covers an area of approximately 43,753 square kilometres (16,893 sq mi).
It is bordered by:
The province of Boujdour was created by the dahir establishing the law of 6 August 1976, after the Green March of 1975 leading to the Madrid agreements which divided Western Sahara in two. The Spanish region of Seguia el-Hamra was entrusted to Morocco while that of Río de Oro to Mauritania. Like the provinces of Laâyoune and Es Semara, the province of Boujdour was created on 6 August 1976.
When it was created, the province of Boujdour had 2 circles which included 4 caïdats and the rural communes Bir Anzarane, Oum Dreyga, Boujdour and Gueltat Zemmour.
The province is divided administratively into the following:
|Name||Geographic code||Type||Households||Population (2004)||Foreign population||Moroccan population||Notes|
|Guelta Zemmur||121.03.01.||Rural commune||95||6740||24||6716|
In 2014 the population was 50,566, of which 42,651 were urban and 7,915 were rural. The town of Boujdour had 42,651 inhabitants, Gueltat Zemmour had 6,383, Jraifa 950 and Lamssid 572. Population growth:
- "World Gazetteer: Bū Jaydūr - profile of geographical entity including name variants". Archived from the original on 2013-02-09. Retrieved 2009-07-30.
- "World Gazetteer: Bū Jaydūr - largest cities (Per geographical entity)". Archived from the original on 2013-02-10. Retrieved 2009-07-30.
- Ouazzani Chahdi, Hassan (1986), "L'organisation administrative des provinces sahariennes", Georges Vedel présente : Édification d'un État moderne (in French), Albin Michel, p. 181, ISBN 2-226-02799-8
- "Dahir 1-76-468 du 9 chabaane 1396 (6 August 1976) modifiant et complétant le dahir 1-59-351 du I joumada II 1379 (2 December 1959) relatif à la division administrative du Royaume" (PDF), Bulletin Officiel du Royaume du Maroc (3328): 915, 11 August 1976, retrieved 13 May 2014
- "Recensement général de la population et de l'habitat de 2004" (PDF). Haut-commissariat au Plan, Lavieeco.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 July 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Annuaire Statistique Regional, p. 7.
- Annuaire Statistique Regional, p. 8.
- Annuaire Statistique Regional Laayoune - Sakia el Hamra (in French), Rotaume de Maric Haut-Commissariat au Plan, 2015, retrieved 2021-10-22