Boter Kothani Vav
|Boter Kothani Vav|
|Alternative names||Mehsana Vav|
|Architectural style||Indian architecture|
|Town or city||Mehsana|
|Floor count||Eleven storied stepwell|
|Design and construction|
The stepwell was constructed during the reign of Mughal emperor Aurangzeb. An inscription dated Samvat 1731 (1674 CE) in Persian and Devnagari scripts states that it was commissioned by Shah Gokaldas from Laghu Shakha of Shrimali caste, and his mother Manabai for public welfare. Gokaldas is a son of Virji who is a son of Vaka and grandson of Tejpal, as mentioned in the inscription.
Repaired and renovated during the Gaekwad rule, it became neglected and polluted. It was cleaned by the Mehsana Municipality in 2013. It was cleaned again and its water was approved for use in gardens in 2020.
It is located near Bhimnath Mahadev temple in Para area. It is constructed of bricks and sandstone. It is 14 to 15 metres (45 to 50 ft) long and eleven floors deep, and has unique twin wells. It is known as Boter Kothani Vav, literally the stepwell with 72 cells.
- Purnima Mehta Bhatt (16 December 2014). Her Space, Her Story: Exploring the Stepwells of Gujarat. Zubaan. pp. 57–58. ISBN 978-93-84757-08-3. Archived from the original on 24 August 2017.
- "મહેસાણાની ઐતિહાસીક વિરાસત એવી 'બોત્તેર કોઠા'ની વાવ ફરીથી તંત્રની ઉદાસિનતાનો". Divya Bhaskar (in Gujarati). 2015-05-13. Retrieved 2020-11-06.
- S. B. Rajyagor, ed. (1975). Gujarat State Gazetteers: Mehsana District. Gujarat State Gazetteers. 5. Directorate of Government Print., Stationery and Publications, Government of Gujarat. p. 805. Archived from the original on 2017-02-16.
- Bhojak, Kanaiyalal Amthalal (1957). Mehsana: Prachin Arvachin મહેસાણા: પ્રાચીન અર્વાચીન [Mehsana: Ancient and Modern] (in Gujarati). Mehsana: Mehsana Municipality. pp. 48–53.
- Shukla, Rakesh (24 June 2014). "ક્યારેક લોકોની તરસ છિપાવતા હતા ગુજરાતના આ જળ મંદિરો-બોતેર કોઠાની વાવ". gujarati.oneindia.com (in Gujarati). Archived from the original on 20 November 2016. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "શિલ્પ-સ્થાપત્યની બેનમૂન બોતેર કોઠાની વાવ કચરાપેટી બની ગઈ". Webdunia (in Gujarati). 2 December 2013. Archived from the original on 24 August 2017. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "૭૨ કોઠા વાવ : મહેસાણાની શાન અને જાન છે" (in Gujarati). Divya Bhaskar. 2013-12-04. Retrieved 2020-11-06.
- "Enthusiasts to revive stepwell in Mehsana". The Times of India. 21 March 2013. Archived from the original on 22 March 2013. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "મહેસાણાની અવાવરૃં બનેલી 72 કોઠાની વાવ જીવંત કરાશે" (in Gujarati). Gujarat Samachar. 2020-10-30. Retrieved 2020-11-06.
- "અયોગ્ય@મહેસાણા: ઐતિહાસિક 72 કોઠાની વાવમાં સ્વચ્છતા અભિયાનનું સુરસુરીયું" (in Gujarati). Atal Samachar. 2019-11-27. Retrieved 2020-11-06.
- Census of India, 1991: Mahesana. Government Photo Litho Press. 1992. p. 29.