This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Boris Borisovich Yegorov (Russian: Борис Борисович Егоров, Boris Borisovich Egorov; November 26, 1937, Moscow – September 12, 1994, Moscow) was a Soviet physician-cosmonaut who became the first physician to make a space flight.
Boris Borisovich Yegorov
|Died||12 September 1994 (aged 56)|
Time in space
|1d 00h 17m|
|Selection||Civilian Specialist Group 1|
Yegorov came from a medical background, with his father a prominent heart surgeon, and his mother an ophthalmologist. He also selected medicine as a career and graduated from the "First Moscow Medical Institute" in 1961. During the course of his studies, he came into contact with Yuri Gagarin's training and became interested in space medicine.
Yegorov earned his doctorate in medicine, with his specialisation being in disorders of the sense of balance.
Yegorov was selected as a member of the multi-disciplinary team that flew on Voskhod 1. It has been suggested that his father's influence within the Politburo may have had some bearing on the selection. As a result of this space flight, Yegorov was awarded the title of the Hero of the Soviet Union on October 19, 1964.
He died from a heart attack in 1994.
Yegorov was married three times and fathered three children.
He was awarded:
- Hero of the Soviet Union
- Pilot-Cosmonaut of the USSR
- Order of Lenin
- Order of the Red Banner of Labour
- Medal "For the Development of Virgin Lands"
- Nine jubilee medals
- Hero of Socialist Labour (Vietnam)
- Banner Order of the Hungarian People's Republic
- Медаль «25 лет Народной власти»
- "Rockets and people" – B. E. Chertok, M: "mechanical engineering", 1999. ISBN 5-217-02942-0
- "The hidden space" – Nikolai Kamanin, М: "Инфортекс-ИФ, 1995.
- "S. P. Korolev. Encyclopedia of life and creativity" - edited by C. A. Lopota, RSC Energia. S. P. Korolev, 2014 ISBN 978-5-906674-04-3
- The official website of the city administration Baikonur - Honorary citizens of Baikonur