Boomerang Family (Korean: 고령화 가족; RR: Goryeonghwa Gajok; lit. "Aging Family") is a 2013 South Korean comedy-drama film directed by Song Hae-sung, and starring Park Hae-il, Yoon Je-moon, Gong Hyo-jin, Youn Yuh-jung, and Jin Ji-hee. Based on the 2010 novel Aging Family by Cheon Myeong-kwan, the film is about three misfit siblings in their thirties and forties who all decide to move back in with their mother.
|Revised Romanization||Goryeonghwa Gajok|
|Directed by||Song Hae-sung|
|Screenplay by||Kim Hae-gon |
|Based on||Aging Family|
by CHEON Myeong-kwan
|Produced by||Na Gyeong-chan |
|Starring||Park Hae-il |
|Edited by||Park Gok-ji|
|Music by||Lee Jae-jin|
Invent Stone Corp.
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment|
Film director In-mo (Park Hae-il) is a 40-year-old movie director who's been jobless for the past decade after his debut film was a commercial and artistic flop. Mired in poverty and depressed at his wife's affair, he decides to hang himself. But a well-timed call from his mother (Youn Yuh-jung) inviting him to dinner results in a change of plans. Instead of killing himself, he decides to move into his mother's home, where his older brother Han-mo (Yoon Je-moon) also lives. A 44-year-old unemployed ex-gangster with five criminal convictions, Han-mo is not particularly pleased at this development. But more trouble lies ahead: younger sister Mi-yeon (Gong Hyo-jin) arrives with her bratty, rebellious 15-year-old daughter Min-kyung (Jin Ji-hee). 35-year-old Mi-yeon announces that she is leaving her second husband, and that she needs to stay with them for the immediate future. Thus the dysfunctional family is reunited, revealing petty conflicts, sibling rivalries and largely unexpressed affection, as they struggle with the challenges of middle age.
- Park Hae-il as Oh In-mo
- Yoon Je-moon as Oh Han-mo
- Gong Hyo-jin as Oh Mi-yeon
- Youn Yuh-jung as Mom
- Jin Ji-hee as Shin Min-kyung, Mi-yeon's daughter
- Ye Ji-won as Han Soo-ja, hairdresser
- Kim Young-jae as Jung Geun-bae, Mi-yeon's boyfriend
- Yoo Seung-mok as drug peddler
- Park Young-seo as Ki-soo, Han-mo's thief friend
- Lee Young-jin as Seo Mi-ok, In-mo's wife
- Jung Young-gi as Jang, Mi-yeon's husband
- Kim Hae-gon as Kim, porno producer
- Kim Dae-jin as Choi
- Yoo Yeon-mi as Min-kyung's school friend
- Han Sung-yong as restaurant customer
- Oh Min-ae as landlady
- Woo Hye-jin as Mi-yeon's wedding friend
- Hwang Byung-gook as wedding photographer
- Park Geun-hyung as Mr. Gu, Mom's male friend
- Kim Ji-young as Sang-geun's woman
- Yang Hee-kyung as Jung-hyun's woman
- Kim Kyung-ae as Jung-bok's woman
Awards and nominationsEdit
- "Aging Family". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2014-01-08.
- Huh, Nam-woong (8 February 2013). "A FAMILY REUNION Shows the Happiness of a Troubled Family". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- Ho, Stewart (10 September 2012). "Gong Hyo Jin, Park Hae Il Cast in The Aging Family". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Archived from the original on 27 December 2013. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- Lee, Tae-ho (11 September 2012). "Actress Kong Hyo-jin to make appearance in Park Hae-il's new movie". TenAsia. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- Kim, Soo-young. ‘맛있는 이야기’를 짓는 작가, 천명관 - 『고령화 가족』 천명관. Yes24.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- Lee, Hye-ji (2 October 2012). "Park Hae-il, Kong Hyo-jin Kicks Off New Film's Pre-production". TenAsia. Archived from the original on 28 March 2014. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- Lee, Claire (30 April 2013). "Movie portrays struggles of modern family". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-04-30.
- Paquet, Darcy (16 May 2013). "In Focus: Boomerang Family". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2013-06-04.
- "Now showing". The Korea Times. 9 May 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- "2013.5.10 Now playing". Korea JoongAng Daily. 10 May 2013. Archived from the original on 20 June 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- Lee, Sun-min (9 April 2013). "Gong Hyo-jin likes dirty language in film". Korea JoongAng Daily. Archived from the original on 15 June 2013. Retrieved 2013-04-17.