Dr. Boo Cheng Hau (Chinese: 巫程豪; pinyin: Wū Chéngháo; born 1 October 1964) is a Malaysian politician of Democratic Action Party (DAP). He previously contested the Skudai state seat of Johor State Legislative Assembly on the DAP party ticket in the 1999 general election and the 2004 general election but had lost both the contests to the Barisan Nasional (BN). In the 2008 general election, he contested the Skudai state seat again and won to be an assemblyman for Skudai constituency. He retained the seat in the following 2013 general election. He has been the opposition leader for representing Pakatan Rakyat (PR) in Johor State Legislative Assembly from 2008 till 2015.
Boo Cheng Hau
|Member of the Johor State Legislative Assembly|
for Skudai, Johor
8 March 2008 – 9 May 2018
|Preceded by||Teo Eng Tee (GERAKAN-BN)|
|Succeeded by||Tan Hong Pin (DAP-PH)|
|Born||1 October 1964|
|Political party||Democratic Action Party (1994–)|
|Pakatan Harapan (PH) (2015-)|
Pakatan Rakyat (PR) (2008-2015)
Barisan Alternatif (BA) (1999-2004)
Gagasan Rakyat (GR) (1994-1996)
|Website||Boo Cheng Hau on Facebook|
Controversies and issuesEdit
On 25 October 2011, his clinic in Taman Universiti, Skudai, Johor Bahru, was broken into resulting with a loss of RM800. Deputy Johor CID chief, ACP Che Yusoff Che Ngah said the incident involved a clinic worker noticed about 8 am before the police received a report about an hour later. Dr Boo when interviewed, said the incident involved the first time since the clinic opened 13 years ago.
In February 2013, an open verbal conflict erupted between Johor DAP chairman Boo and Johor People's Justice Party (PKR) chairman Chua Jui Meng, prompting calls from both DAP and PKR party heavyweights to weigh in for their party stalwarts. This as a result of accusations from either side accusing each other of splitting Pakatan Rakyat in the state of Johor. The conflict was resolved after talks and mediation by the central leadership of both parties. One of the sign of reconciliation between Chua and Johor DAP was demonstrated when Chua received unconditional support from the DAP chief in the Segamat constituency which he was chosen to contest at the 2013 election. The seat was traditionally contested by DAP.
|1999||N38 Skudai, P143 Gelang Patah||Boo Cheng Hau (DAP)||11,875||33.25%||Khoo Kong Ek (GERAKAN)||23,042||64.51%||35,719||11,167||75.63%|
|2004||N48 Skudai, P162 Gelang Patah||Boo Cheng Hau (DAP)||13,380||45.30%||Teo Eng Tee (GERAKAN)||15,573||52.72%||29,539||2,193||73.00%|
|2008||Boo Cheng Hau (DAP)||23,214||68.22%||Teo Eng Tee (GERAKAN)||10,270||30.18%||34,029||12,854||77.00%|
|2013||Boo Cheng Hau (DAP)||33,692||67.58%||Liang Ah Chy (MCA)||15,642||31.37%||49,859||18,050||88.00%|
- Nelson Benjamin (16 April 2018). "Dr Boo: I will remain in DAP". The Star Online. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Klinik ADUN Skudai dipecah masuk", Malaysiakini.com. 25 Oktober 2011.
- Lee & Gasper, Regina & Desiree Tresa (20 February 2013). "Pakatan top brass weigh in on feud between Boo and Chua". The Star.
- Gasper & Wong, Desiree Tresa & Pek Mei. "Johor DAP-PKR spat gets serious". The Star (Malaysia). Retrieved 22 February 2013.
- Pragalath, K. "DAP, PKR join forces for Battle Segamat". Free Malaysia Today. Archived from the original on 13 April 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 4 February 2017. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Malaysia General Election". undiinfo Malaysian Election Data. Malaysiakini. Retrieved 4 February 2017. Results only available from the 2004 election.
- "KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM 13". Sistem Pengurusan Maklumat Pilihan Raya Umum (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "my undi : Kawasan & Calon-Calon PRU13 : Keputusan PRU13 (Archived copy)". www.myundi.com.my. Archived from the original on 31 March 2014. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum ke-13". Utusan Malaysia. Archived from the original on 21 March 2018. Retrieved 26 October 2014.