Bolívar (Spanish pronunciation: [boˈliβaɾ]) is a department of Colombia. It was named after one of the original nine states of the United States of Colombia. It is located to the north of the country, extending roughly north-south from the Caribbean coast at Cartagena near the mouth of the Magdalena River, then south along the river to a border with Antioquia Department. The departments of Sucre and Córdoba are located to the west, and Atlántico Department is to the north and east (most of the border formed by the Canal del Dique). Across the Magdalena River to the east is Magdalena Department. The flag of the department bears a resemblance to the flag of Lithuania.
Department of Bolívar
Departamento de Bolívar
Ab Ordine Libertas
(Latin: From order comes freedom)
|Anthem: Himno de Bolívar|
Bolívar shown in red
Topography of the department
|Established||June 15, 1857|
|• Governor||Dumek Jose Turbay Paz (2016-2019)|
|• Total||25,978 km2 (10,030 sq mi)|
|• Density||79/km2 (200/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||CO-BOL|
high · 13th
Provinces and MunicipalitiesEdit
In today's villages of Maria La Baja, Sincerín, El Viso, and Mahates and Rotinet, excavations have uncovered the remains of maloka-type buildings, directly related to the early Puerto Hormiga settlements.
- "Información Institucional: Geografía" (in Spanish). Gobernación del Bolivar. 2011. Archived from the original on 5 March 2012. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- Kline, Harvey F. (2012). "Bolivar, Department of". Historical Dictionary of Colombia. Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press. p. 83. ISBN 978-0-8108-7813-6.
- "DANE". Archived from the original on November 13, 2009. Retrieved February 13, 2013.
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "Universidad del Norte". Uninorte.edu.co. Archived from the original on 2010-12-20. Retrieved 2010-06-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bolívar Department.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Bolívar Department.|
- View a boundary-overlaid version of Bolívar on Google Maps: http://www.maplandia.com/colombia/bolivar/turbana/
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. 4 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 166. .