Božidarka Frajt (also spelled Frait; born 11 November 1940) is a Croatian actress.
11 November 1940
|Other names||Božidarka Frait|
|Children||Bojana Gregorić Vejzović|
In her six decade long career, she has composed a prolific repertoire in Croatian television, film and theatre, but is best known for her role in cinéma vérité-style 1972 film The Living Truth, which earned her critical praise and a Golden Arena Award for Best Actress. In 2010, Frajt was awarded the Vladimir Nazor Award for lifetime achievement.
Božidarka Frajt was born Božidarka Grublješić on 11 November 1940. Born to an ethnic Bosnian Serb family, her exact birthplace is unknown due to the scarce information of her childhood. It is believed she was born in Velika Žuljevica under Kozara, and that she was taken to a concentration camp for Serbian kids in Sisak during the Kozara Offensive in 1942 along with thousands of other orphans. She was later adopted by Croatian Jews Katarina and Stjepan Frajt. At the age of 36, she found out about her Kozara heritage when a woman named Dara Grublješić identified her as her niece.
Frajt made her acting debut in the 1959 Croatian-language film Lakat kao takav, directed by Ante Babaja. In 1963, Frajt interpreted the complex character Vera in the Yugoslav political film Licem u lice. The film directed by Branko Bauer gained critical acclaim, winning a Big Golden Arena Award for Best Film at the Pula Film Festival and critical praise.
Her debut as a television actress came with the 1969 Sumorna Jesen, as "The Good Fairy". The plot lines of most of the episodes Frajt starred in were inspired by the experiences of screenwriter Ivan Šibl in World War II.
In 1972, Frajt starred in the directorial debut film of Tomislav Radić The Living Truth. Her dynamic and dominant interpretation in the drama provided a direct dichotomy to the depressing nature of the film. Her performance instantly made her one of the most prominent film actresses of Yugoslavia, winning her a Golden Arena for Best Actress and commercial success. In a 1999 poll among 44 Croatian film consumers, The Living Truth was placed 20th on the list of all-time best Croatian films.
Frajt had a major role in the 1977 Krešo Golik film Pucanj, sharing the protagonist role with Serbian actor Marko Nikolić. In 1978, she appeared as the middle-aged audio pedagogue protagonist Ljubica in another Golik production Ljubica.
In 1997, she voiced Grga (Melvin)'s mother in the Croatian-language animated feature Lapitch the Little Shoemaker. Frajt also dubbed Kala in the official 2005 Croatian version of the 1999 animated film Tarzan, and in 2013, Helen Mirren's character Dean Abigail Hardscrabble in the Croatian dub of Monsters University.
|1969||Sumorna jesen||Good Fairy|
|1969||Pod novim krovovima||Vedrana|
|1978||Mačak pod šljemom||Janja|
|2006||Odmori se, zaslužio si||Berta|
|2009||Stipe u gostima||Cvita|
|1959||Lakat kao takav||Gordana|
|1960||Bolje je umeti||The Daughter|
|1963||Licem u lice||Vera|
|1965||Danovi na iskusnije||Baba Milka|
|1970||Rosolino Paternò, soldato...||Giatta||Italian-language film|
|1970||Ana i Eva||Walter's mistress|
|1972||The Living Truth||Herself||Main role|
Golden Arena for Best Actress in 1972
|1975||Žena sa krajolikom|
|1975||Muke po Mati||Mare|
|1977||I tako dalje||Branka|
|1981||Ritam zločina||Zdenka||Main role|
|1989||A Man Who Liked Funerals||Zdenka|
|1997||Russian meat||Ida's mother|
|1997||Lapitch the Little Shoemaker||Melvin's mother||Voice role|
|1997||The Third Woman||Ivanka|
|1998||The Three Men of Melita Žganjer||Neighbour||Cameo|
|2000||Celestial Body||Woman in line||Cameo|
|2004||Accidental Co-Traveller||Greta's mother|
|2011||Duh babe Ilonke||Anka|
|2013||Monsters University||Dean Abigail Hardscrabble||Croatian dub|
- (T.K.) Brigita Knežević (73): Imala sam dvije godine kad su me ustaše zatočili u logoru, Slobodna Dalmacija, 23 July 2015
- Marinović, Barbara (11 November 2018). "Jedna od najvećih hrvatskih glumica kao dijete ostala siroče, prošla i dječji logor, a potom izgradila ogromnu karijeru". jutarnji.hr (in Croatian). Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- Bozidarka Frajt i Bojana Gregoric
- Lakat kaolin takav IMDB
- Ritchel, Elaine. "Reintroducing legendary director Branko Bauer". Ikon Arts Foundation.
- Jurica Pavičić (November 21, 2013). "Nikada Zagreb nije tako dobro snimljen kao u ovoj TV seriji". Jutarnji list.
- "Hrabrost ratnika". Matica hrvatska.
- Heidl, Janko (2011). "Istina o Živoj istini" [The Truth About The Living Truth]. Zapis (in Croatian). Croatian Film Association (72). Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Živa istina". hrfilm.hr (in Croatian). Croatian Film Association. Retrieved 2016-08-14.
- Heidl, Janko (28 February 2011). "I danas svježe ostvarenje". filmovi.hr (in Croatian). Retrieved 2014-12-03.
- Pucanj (in Croatian)
- Ljubica at hrfilm.hr (in Croatian)
- Hrvatski filmski arhiv: Popis hrvatskih dugometražnih filmova 1944. - 2006.
- NE DAJ BOŽE NIKOM STRAHOTE KOJE JE PREŽIVELA MOJA MAJKA BOŽIDARKA FRAJT: Bojana Gregorić Vejzović iskreno o seriji Pogrešan čovek i životu na relaciji Zagreb-Beograd
- (T.K.) Pravac Montevideo, Glas Slavonije, 18 August 2012
- Recept za srecu, brak nije lunapark, ali to moze nekad biti www.24sata.hr