Blue Cliff Monastery
Blue Cliff Monastery is an 80-acre (0.32 km2) Zen Buddhist monastery located in Pine Bush, New York. It was founded in May 2007 by monastic and lay practitioners from the Plum Village Tradition.
|Blue Cliff Monastery|
|Affiliation||Order of Interbeing|
Lam Te Dhyana
|Location||3 Mindfulness Way|
Pine Bush, NY 12566
|Founder||Thich Nhat Hanh|
The monastery is under the direction of Thích Nhất Hạnh's Order of Interbeing in the Vietnamese Zen tradition. Blue Cliff Monastery follows the same practices and daily schedules as its root monastery Plum Village and its sister monasteries Deer Park Monastery in Escondido, California and Magnolia Grove Monastery in Batesville, Mississippi.
Blue Cliff Monastery was created when the monastics moved from Maple Forest Monastery and the Green Mountain Dharma Center. In 1997 Maple Forest Monastery was founded in Woodstock, Vermont and a year later Green Mountain Dharma Center was founded in Hartland, Vermont. Maple Forest was the monks' residence and Green Mountain was the nuns' residence. In May 2007 both centers moved to Blue Cliff Monastery.
The Monastery is located in the lush green Hudson Valley of New York (one hour and 30 minutes away from NYC). Inside the property there are two ponds and a creek, and out of its 80 acres 65 are forest. Visitors are welcome to practice mindfulness with the fourfold community of monks, nuns, laymen and laywomen. Typically days of mindfulness are held twice a week (Thursdays and Sundays). Retreats are held frequently throughout the year.
- International Sangha Directory – United States – Blue Cliff Monastery Archived January 11, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Plumvillage.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Blue Cliff Monastery, Pine Bush | Wellness centre in Walker Valley, New York Archived March 20, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. Wahanda. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Boston Old Path Sangha of the Community of Mindful Living – In the lineage of Thich Nhat Hanh – community. Bostonoldpath.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Our Teacher - Blue Cliff Monastery Archived November 19, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Bluecliffmonastery.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- About us. magnoliavillage.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Queen, Christopher. "Engaged Buddhism in the West", Wisdom Publications, 2000, p.62
- Unified Buddhist Church — Deer Park Monastery Archived March 11, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. deerparkmonastery.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Parallax Press – Thich Nhat Hanh Retreat Centers, Unified Buddhist Church Archived January 6, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Parallax.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Blue Cliff Monastery People of Color Retreat 10.22.2010 Archived July 28, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Urban Refuge. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Blue Cliff Monastery | Still Mountain: A Guide to Retreats. Stillmountainretreatguide.com (2010-02-21). Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- "About Blue Cliff Monastery" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2013-06-18.
- Events. Clear Heart Sangha (2011-02-23). Retrieved on 2011-02-27.
- Thich Nhat Hanh :: Mindfulness Retreats. Tnhtour.org. Retrieved on 2011-02-27.