Blow by Blow (Philippine boxing program)
Blow by Blow is a weekly sports television boxing program produced by Vintage Sports and aired over television network People's Television Network and later Intercontinental Broadcasting Corporation. Debuting in 1994, it focuses mainly on up-and-coming boxing prospects.
|Blow by Blow|
|Theme music composer||Dennis Milner|
|Opening theme||"Against All Odds" (instrumental)|
|Ending theme||"Against All Odds" (instrumental)|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company||Vintage Enterprises|
|Original network||People's Television Network|
Intercontinental Broadcasting Corporation
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||1994 –|
The show is usually taped on small venues and gyms across Metro Manila (usually from Parañaque or Mandaluyong).
The show was revived on December 13, 2015 and aired every Sunday afternoon on TV5. Pacquiao, one of the homegrown boxers featured in Blow by Blow, together with Sports5, former North Cotabato vice governor and acclaimed boxing analyst Manny Piñol, and boxing promoters Gerry Garcia and Lito Mondejar spearheaded the return of the program that will feature boxing fights of amateur boxers in the country.
Eugene Barutag incidentEdit
On December 9, 1995, a young fighter from General Santos City named Eugene Barutag, was scheduled for an eight-round match against veteran Randy Andagan of Biñan, Laguna. Barutag was winning the match in the first four rounds and almost knocked out Andagan, but the latter got his second wind and beat the younger boxer, who at the end of the bout, collapsed in his corner. At that time, there were no standby paramedics in case of emergency. Using the service vehicle of Vintage Sports, Barutag was rushed to the Jose Reyes Memorial Hospital and was declared dead on arrival.
The fight also features in the 2015 Movie, Kid Kulafu, where Manny Pacquiao witnesses his death.
- Ronnie Nathanie (December 28, 2001). "The country's remaining world boxing champ today". Manila Standard. p. 8. Retrieved June 18, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Ronnie Nathanie (October 7, 2003). "The color of money". Manila Standard. Archived from the original on October 17, 2003. Retrieved June 18, 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Pacquiao revives fabled TV show". Fight News. Archived from the original on 11 December 2015. Retrieved 10 December 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- The dangers of boxing, by: Chino Trinidad, GMANews.tv, January 26, 2010
- I-Witness wins prestigious Peabody Journalism Award Archived March 20, 2012, at the Wayback Machine, Good News Pilipinas, April 8, 2010