Bloodlet are an American hardcore punk band from Orlando, Florida that formed in 1992. Their style of music (which has sometimes been dubbed as "evilcore" by critics) features elements of metalcore and sludge metal, which has been noted for influencing the 1990s underground hardcore scene.
|Origin||Orlando, Florida, U.S.|
|Genres||Metalcore, sludge metal|
|Years active||1992–1998 |
2001–2003, 2014, 2017–present
|Labels||Victory Records, A389 Recordings, Stability Records, Structure Records, Smorgasbord Records, Translation Loss Records|
|Associated acts||Damnation A.D., Adventures In Immortality, Gray Before My Eyes, Song Of Kerman, Hollow Leg, Junior Bruce|
|Past members||John Stewart Jr|
Bloodlet began by releasing a demo tape and a few 7-inches during the early portion of their career, including an EP on Canadian band Chokehold's record label Structure Records. They also collaborated with Damnation A.D. under the name Bloodnation to contribute to a compilation, the group were signed onto Victory Records, who issued the band's debut Entheogen in 1996. After extensive touring, the group's second album The Seraphim Fall was issued in 1998, and the group quietly entered a hiatus. The group would later reunite in 2001, and issue their third album Three Humid Nights in the Cypress Trees, which was released in 2002. The album was engineered by Steve Albini and was recorded at his Electrical Audio recording studio. A music video was produced for "Holy Rollin Homicide", and the group would disband once more a year later.
In 2014, the group would reform for a special one-off performance at the A389 Recordings' 10th anniversary festival, performing with groups such as Integrity and Infest. That same year the label also issued a double-LP reissue of Entheogen, a limited edition live album, and a limited edition 5" of a rare outtake titled "Embrace". The song was recorded in 1994, and was forgotten until a hardcore blog made a post about it years later.
- Scott Angelacos - vocals (1992–1998, 2001–2003, 2014, 2017–present)
- Thomas Crowther - guitar (2014, 2017–present), bass (2002-2003)
- Matt Easley - guitar (1992–1998, 2001–2003, 2014, 2017–present)
- Charles King - drums (1993–1998, 2014, 2017–present)
- Art Legere - bass (1994–1998, 2001–2002, 2014, 2017–present), guitar (1996)
- John Stewart Jr - drums (2001–2003)
- Keith Dalrymple - bass (1992–1994)
- Jeremy Illges - guitar (1994–1996)
- Tyler Gray - bass (1996)
- Entheogen CD/CS/LP (March 5, 1996, Victory) (Double LP edition issued by A389 Recordings in 2014)
- The Seraphim Fall CD/CS/LP (March 10, 1998, Victory)
- Three Humid Nights in the Cypress Trees CD/CS (June 4, 2002, Victory)
Singles and EPsEdit
- Bloodlet demo tape (1992, self-released)
- Bloodlet 7" (1993, Smorgasbord)
- Husk 7" (1993, Structure)
- Shell 7" (1994, Stability)
- Embrace 5" (2014, A389 Recordings/Stuck In the Past)
- Viper in Hand 10"/Digital (2019, Translation Loss Records)
- Eclectic (November 1, 1995, Victory)
- Live On WFMU-FM (03.23.95) (April 19, 2014, A389 Recordings)
- Prato, Greg. "Bloodlet Biography". Allmusic Guide. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- Taylor, Jason D. "Three Humid Nights in the Cypress Trees Review". allmusic.com. Allmusic Guide. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- Gramlich, Chris (2006-01-01). "Bloodlet Don't Call It A Comeback". exclaim.ca. Exclaim!. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- Julien, Alexandre (September 8, 2011). "Structure Records Interview". Abridged Pause Blog. Archived from the original on April 8, 2019. Retrieved September 6, 2020.
- Ramirez, Carlos (2016-04-26). "Interview: Mike McTernan (Damnation A.D., When Tigers Fight)". noecho.net. No Echo. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- n/a (2002-03-19). "Bloodlet enters studio to record full-length". lambgoat.com. Lamb Goat. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- n/a (2013-09-26). "A389 Recordings announces 10th Anniversary Bash". lambgoat.com. Lamb Goat. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- Zorgdrager, Bradley (2014-02-07). "Bloodlet: Entheogen/Embrace Review". excalim.ca. Exclaim!. Retrieved 2018-08-06.
- n/a (2014-03-14). "Bloodlet set to release 'Live On WFUM-FM'". lambgoat.com. Lamb Goat. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- n/a (2013-11-13). "Bloodlet: unreleased material due out in January". lambgoat.com. Lamb Goat. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- n/a (2017-03-27). "This Is Hardcore 2017 Announced". lambgoat.com. Lamb Goat. Retrieved 2018-08-04.
- Julien, Alexandre (January 8, 2008). "Bird of Ill Omen & Dead Mens' Theory Official Biography". Abridged Pause Blog. Archived from the original on September 5, 2020. Retrieved September 5, 2020.