Blood Ceremony is a Canadian rock band formed in 2006 in Toronto, Ontario. Blood Ceremony's style has been described as "flute-tinged witch rock" and their lyrics are filled with black magic imagery and references to classic horror films. Their music has been also characterized as hard rock, psychedelic folk, progressive rock and doom metal.
Blood Ceremony live in Toronto at the Danforth Music Hall.
|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Genres||Hard rock, psychedelic folk, progressive rock, doom metal, occult rock, stoner rock|
|Labels||Rise Above, Metal Blade|
|Members||Alia O'Brien |
|Past members||Chris Landon |
The band is fronted by singer/flutist/organist Alia O'Brien, whose flute solos are reminiscent of Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson. Torontoist has called Blood Ceremony "Toronto's most original band".
The band was created by O'Brien with guitarist Sean Kennedy, who is responsible for most of the songwriting.
Blood Ceremony spent the latter part of 2009 touring throughout Europe with Electric Wizard. During the latter part of 2011 and the early part of 2012, they supported Ghost on their European and North American tours.
They have since released two additional albums, The Eldritch Dark (2013, Metal Blade) and Lord of Misrule (2016, Rise Above).
Blood Ceremony's style has been described as occult rock, and by their label as "flute-tinged witch rock". In a 2011 interview on Finland's NukeTV, O'Brien called their style "heavy rock" and claimed that their distinct sound is the result of each band member having different musical influences. She cited late 1960s and early 1970s progressive rock as crucial to her inspiration, called Jethro Tull her "very first, favorite band", and also listed Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Osanna, Pentagram, Witchfinder General, Electric Wizard and Pagan Altar as having a major impact. Guitarist and songwriter Kennedy called Blood Ceremony a "folkier Sabbath", and cited "heavier Black Sabbath", 1980s doom metal and British folk artists such as Pentangle and Fairport Convention as influential.
- Alia O'Brien - lead vocals, flute, organ
- Sean Kennedy - guitars
- Lucas Gadke - bass, backing vocals
- Michael Carrillo - drums
- Chris Landon - bass
- Jeremy Finkelstein - drums
- Andrew Haust - drums
|2011||Living with the Ancients||–|
|2013||The Eldritch Dark||34|
|2016||Lord of Misrule||–|
- "Rise Above Records". Rise Above Records. 2011-03-07. Archived from the original on 2012-03-16. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- Semley, John (2011-04-01). "Blood Ceremony Summons You to the Sabbat | news". Torontoist. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Reviews | Blood Ceremony". The Quietus. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Blood Ceremony CD Album". Cduniverse.com. 2008-08-25. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives - Blood Ceremony - Living with the Ancients". The Metal Archives. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "7 Occult Rock Bands That Are Way Fucking Better Than Ghost". Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- "Blood Ceremony discography". finnishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 24 July 2013.